Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cal296

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
Hi I have a MacBook that was made in 2010 so it is getting on a bit... Although it still runs fine I have noticed that the trackpad has been starting to not recognise my clicks sometimes and that the right side of the trackpad (the bit that is over the battery) has a completely different click feeling and sound.

Is there a chance that the battery could be swelling and causing this like most other threads suggest?

Also, can someone suggest some good places to buy batteries from and/or trackpads.. Thanks :)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
It is certainly likely that a 4 year old battery might be swelling.
You would want to check that first, where the swelling may be causing the trackpad to be less responsive due to pressure from underneath.
The battery extends completely underneath the trackpad. The right edge of the trackpad would be near the middle of the battery, where any swelling may be more pronounced (and more noticeable)

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
My late 2008 MBP's battery swells terribly. I have messed around with that adjustment screw under the trackpad which has helped at times but it's still an ongoing problem.

Is it the heat from the cooking unibody that's causing the battery to swell and affect the trackpad or is it the 'norm' for these older batteries to just swell until their replaced?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
My late 2008 MBP's battery swells terribly. I have messed around with that adjustment screw under the trackpad which has helped at times but it's still an ongoing problem.

Is it the heat from the cooking unibody that's causing the battery to swell and affect the trackpad or is it the 'norm' for these older batteries to just swell until their replaced?

No, I would not characterize that issue as the "norm".
Some do, others do not exhibit that swelling as they age. The outcome is the same, regardless of the swelling. All batteries eventually won't hold a charge adequately.
The swelling, however, makes its presence known in more visible ways, such as interfering with the trackpad.
The fix is the same - replace your exhausted battery…

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
No, I would not characterize that issue as the "norm".
Some do, others do not exhibit that swelling as they age. The outcome is the same, regardless of the swelling. All batteries eventually won't hold a charge adequately.
The swelling, however, makes its presence known in more visible ways, such as interfering with the trackpad.
The fix is the same - replace your exhausted battery…

It can happen. The old 2008 batteries are really susceptible to it for some reason.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks. (and thanks OP for letting me hijack your thread)

So the hot unibody and the battery swelling are two different issues? The unibody's hottest spot is under the upper L hand area, I believe it's where the GPU (9600 GT) is located. I'll see if switching over to the 9400 mode will ease the heating. I already managed to crack the trackpad by screwing in the adjustment screw too far, but it still works. How much should a replacement battery cost?

EDIT: Geez, $100! I'll probably pass since I plan on replacing this old machine later this year.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/Ma...2008-Early-2009-Replacement-Battery/IF161-004

cal296

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
Okay I'm just gonna get a replacement battery from ifixit, I am worried about stuff like this, I use only genuine Apple chargers and batteries because I know its safe. Do you think this aftermarket one from ifixit will be a good quality one?

----------

Thanks for your help everyone :)

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Okay I'm just gonna get a replacement battery from ifixit, I am worried about stuff like this, I use only genuine Apple chargers and batteries because I know its safe. Do you think this aftermarket one from ifixit will be a good quality one?

If it were me, I would just book an appointment at an Apple Store and bring it in to have the battery replaced there. It's a four year old machine, and as far as I know (from what an employee told me last fall) they usually keep batteries and common parts like that in stock for up to about five years from a machine's launch date. After five years, they apparently classify the system as "obsolete" and then it's up to the "grey market" (ie: iFixit) to supply parts.

Last I heard, Apple charges something like $125 for a battery replacement (part included), but get a quote first as that may have changed. If it's close to that, I'd say it's worth the extra $25 or so to get Apple to do the job for you.

cal296

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
If it were me, I would just book an appointment at an Apple Store and bring it in to have the battery replaced there. It's a four year old machine, and as far as I know (from what an employee told me last fall) they usually keep batteries and common parts like that in stock for up to about five years from a machine's launch date. After five years, they apparently classify the system as "obsolete" and then it's up to the "grey market" (ie: iFixit) to supply parts.

Last I heard, Apple charges something like $125 for a battery replacement (part included), but get a quote first as that may have changed. If it's close to that, I'd say it's worth the extra $25 or so to get Apple to do the job for you.

That is probably the best idea, but the nearest Apple store is quite far away, I would take it to a KRCS only 13 miles away but they are terrible in there. A friend of mine had his 17" MBP's RAM upgraded there and they didn't even screw the base plate on properly, he doesn't want to touch it so now there is screws sticking out of the bottom of his MBP and the base plate sinks in (probably touching the logic board for all I know).

Really don't want KRCS doing work on it...

I was thinking, just incase it swells more and turns into this:
VZe0dL5.jpg

Should I remove the battery and use the MacBook on AC power, I basically do that all the time anyways?

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
That is probably the best idea, but the nearest Apple store is quite far away, I would take it to a KRCS only 13 miles away but they are terrible in there. A friend of mine had his 17" MBP's RAM upgraded there and they didn't even screw the base plate on properly, he doesn't want to touch it so now there is screws sticking out of the bottom of his MBP and the base plate sinks in (probably touching the logic board for all I know).

Really don't want KRCS doing work on it...

I was thinking, just incase it swells more and turns into this:

Should I remove the battery and use the MacBook on AC power, I basically do that all the time anyways?

Holy cow! Is that pic for real? Geez, my battery swells but not that bad.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
The swelling battery was an issue with my 2008 unibody.

It definitely made the trackpad tighter and not responsive to clicks.

Then you put the battery on a table or flat surface, it should rest flatly. I was able to spin my battery around the point of swelling.

cal296

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
Holy cow! Is that pic for real? Geez, my battery swells but not that bad.

Appears so. Poor MacBook.

----------

The swelling battery was an issue with my 2008 unibody.

It definitely made the trackpad tighter and not responsive to clicks.

Then you put the battery on a table or flat surface, it should rest flatly. I was able to spin my battery around the point of swelling.

Yes, using it today feels different, I have to put quite a bit of force on the trackpad for it to click... I think i definitely need to take it out.

cal296

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
Surely the battery would state that its condition is not normal.

92995b7443.png

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Surely the battery would state that its condition is not normal.

All that tells you is that the battery function is OK at this time. Your system has no way to monitor the physical size and shape of your battery. All it can do is report electrical response.
You may even find that even in that extreme swelling battery that the battery may still be functional, and may hold a charge (and also may show "normal" in the system - assuming that the battery can stay connected with that big bulge.) I wouldn't test that theory, however.
That pictured MacBook will need a lot more than just replacing a battery to get back into a usable shape.
But, it is also known to blow out the battery cells' electrolyte (even overheat and potentially burst into flame), so if you notice any swelling at all, you should discontinue use immediately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.