Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
Hi,

I have a MacBook, bought it when it was out for 2weeks...

1st issue: the yellowing...
that one got fixed... BUT... now its crooked I mean, the surface isn't even... and has a opening running from the left until the middle...
well thats a cosmetic problem, no biggie... if it was the only issue I had with this one...

2nd issue: mooing... but was fixed with a firmware update... so again nothing big...

3th issue... noticed for the second time 30min ago... MacBook completely freaking out...

it was in sleep with powercord plugged in, battery at 100% I wake it up... and it 'shuts' down, but not really... so I press the on/off button... boing and back to 'sleep' press again, same issue... only when I pressed the button for a reset... all went back to normal... strange, it's the second time I had this happening in 2 weeks time...

hmm apple went too fst for the intels and missed something? I guess they missed a lot... sometimes my MacBook is even slower than it's used to be... safari freaks out... printing to the shared printer on my G5 turns out to be a huge mess...

programs in rosetta have 'unexpected quits' ALL the time...

photoshop is a pain in the *** but that's an ADOBE faillure...

I bought this MacBook to work on location... but in the end it's only a surfing machine... and e-mail tool rather than something thats usefull to use on location... now I wished I bought one of the last G4 PowerBooks instead of this one...

I have a few clients relying on me on mac advice... and the only advice I gave them past week was: wait with new computers... or get any PPC you can buy for now... because I'm getting headaches from my intel seat-heater... (yes even with the new firmware its still 70°c so I'm winter-ready... :s)

x-times faster? not yet Steve... but don't worry... I ran Vista on the MacBook... and that's even worse... VPC on the G5 was as crappy as Vista on the MacBook... no worries Steve... I'm not switching... only woried (or did I got the monday batch??)

yoou know I even have to use IE to do anything on ebay? safari bites the dust and leaves me irritated behind because it fails to login with ebay... IE does the trick... (yes finding IE for mac nowadays even is a challenge...)

ok this is being a big post right now... but I really started hateing my MacBook and it needs to last for 4y... will it????

J (a happy PPC user but frustrated Macintel guy :s)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
170 MacBook users have entered how hot their MacBooks run over at http://intelmactemp.com and the average is 58'C. I'd guess that 95% of those entires were pre-SMC firmware update, so yours averaging at 70'C is unusual. I wonder if the "freaking out" you experienced was because your MacBook was running so hot?

Is the Intel version of Safari different from the PPC version of Safari? I don't understand why it would freak out on just your MacBook and not on an older PowerBook, but then again, I use FireFox all of the time (including at work on my Windows laptop).

I guess I'm the lucky one that got the good MacBook. It prints fine to the USB printer shared from my Airport Express. Encoding w/ Mac the Ripper is easily 3x-4x faster than my 1.67GHz 15" PB. Parallels absolutely runs circles around Virtual PC.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to use your MacBook as you intended when you bought it.

I'm sorry you're having such a bad time with yours. I'd make Apple replace the casing again and fix the heat issue. If you continue to have problems with Rosetta applications and Safari (on sites where the PPC verison of Safari works fine), I'd reinstall OS X because I honestly haven't seen many complaints about either of those issues.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
ok the safari issue is the same on my G5...

now I don't now why, but the MacBook is running at 44°c for the first time since the firmware update...

but it had the same issue again, now when starting up everything looked normal, and 5min later it just quit... pressing the on off button resulted in HD reving up just a bit... and then going in 'sleep' and over and over, then finally when pressing longer for the reboot... a lot of bleeping noise and the it booted again, and now works normal :s very strange...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.