Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
MacBook connected to TV via HDMI.
Mac recognizes the TV but TV says No Signal.

TV works fine if I connect to an iMac or a Mini, I believe they do possess better graphic cards though.

Tried MacBook with 3 similar size TVs all with native HDMI, same vintage, same cables etc.
Mac recognizes all and loads the proper profile.

Only worked with 1, my neighbors Sony TV.

Your suggestions sought!

MacBook connected to TV via HDMI.
Mac recognizes the TV but TV says No Signal.

TV works fine if I connect to an iMac or a Mini, I believe they do possess better graphic cards though.

Tried MacBook with 3 similar size TVs all with native HDMI, same vintage, same cables etc.
Mac recognizes all and loads the proper profile.

Only worked with 1, my neighbors Sony TV.

Your suggestions sought!

Quick question: which MacBook do you own? Cheers.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I would just ask…is the TV set for the correct output? I'm not assuming anything here.

My tv has four HDMI outputs and my Mac recognizes that the TV is connected, but if I don't have my TV on the correct output there is no signal to the TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheShortTimer

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
"which MacBook do you own"

Three:
'08 OSX10.6
'12 10.9
'14 10.12

My desire is to take a 32" TV and the black '08 MacBook to an event and place unattended on a table with a looping iPhoto slide show. Doubtless they would get damaged or stolen but together are only worth perhaps $100. Both all black and I feel a silver MacBook would be distracting.

The TV I planned to take I had previously used w/ an MacMini but it does not work w/ the '08 MacBook. I tried different cables and ports while switching the TV input settings. Tried the same TV w/ an iMac and was fine. However tried a newer MacBook and it did not work either.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
My desire is to take a 32" TV and the black '08 MacBook to an event and place unattended on a table with a looping iPhoto slide show. Doubtless they would get damaged or stolen but together are only worth perhaps $100.

Protect the MacBook with a Kensington lock or an equivalent.

63ef3f85b5f3d5.60664326.jpg

Do the same with the TV or chain it to the table.

91gBpeoykUL.jpg

Both are fairly cheap and effective solutions. :)

Reactions: B S Magnet

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
My tv has four HDMI outputs ... must have my TV on the correct output there is no signal to the TV.

Thanks, am all set in that respect. Hence I got the TV to work with an iMac & Mini but not the black '08 book which I thought odd since the 08 works with my Neighbors Sony.

Since non of my MacBooks would work w/ my TV, I got a Sharp 32" TV (used non smart TV's seem to be cheap or even free in my area, also 32" is now considered too small).

The '08 book does not work with the Sharp either, but my newer books do. For whatever reason (OS version?) at least I now have a combo that I can use and shall consider a cable lock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.