Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
I was wondering if the core duos are worth it? With all the past problems and what not...

I wanted to get my sister one, but she doesn't need what the new ones are offering. Plus I want to save some cash.

What do you think?

And are the 1.83 CD Macbooks still popping up? If so, anyone know how much? Thanks!

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Mine rocks.

If you're looking for the 2 GHz model, get the Core 2 because it has 1 GB of RAM and a bigger hard drive.

But the Core Duo 1.83 and Core 2 Duo 1.83 are almost identical other than the processor.

My Core Duo MacBook works great.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Get 2GHz Core 2 Duo for the 4MB Cache

Mine rocks.

If you're looking for the 2 GHz model, get the Core 2 because it has 1 GB of RAM and a bigger hard drive.

But the Core Duo 1.83 and Core 2 Duo 1.83 are almost identical other than the processor.

My Core Duo MacBook works great.
get her the 2GHz Core 2 Duo. It has twice the cache 4MB vs 2MB over the 1.83GHz model.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
It also costs more.. For web browsing and playing music, I really don't think twice the cache is crucial.

Anyone know how much the 1.83Ghz CD not C2D is?

I am not looking at C2Ds just CDs. Thanks.

bsolomonny

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2007
Taiwan
If you really look around you can get a deal on a new MB CD

I have been using a core duo macbook for a few weeks now and all i can say is wow. It works great. Not a single problem. It seems that firmware upgrades addressed the heat issue and most of the other issue should be addressed under the warranty.

If you look around you can still get a great deal on a new one. They have long since been discontinued so if you find a store with one you can get a great deal IMO. I got a blackbook for my girlfriend for 800 + tax and just ordered a white 2.0 ghz with 3-yr applecare for myself for 1000 no tax shipped.

Personally, I was really concerned about getting a core duo macbook but after using my girlfriend blackbook for a while i felt much better and ordered my own. just wish they still had a few more blackbooks. IMO save the extra money get a great deal you won't regret it.

7ttman

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2007
CD white

I brought one recently for my wife who needed to run Windows XP to pass her ECDL (UK exam).

It came with 512mb and I expected that to be enough simply to run windows word etc.

have to say that performance sucks! But I blame windows for that and not the hardware. Run OS X on the machine is far better but then running it on the old 933mhz 14" ibook is even better! I guess that all to do with the way we use the machines. We simply leave them in the dinning room and occasionally go in there, wake them up and run firefox to browse the net or check e-mails. Starting OSX from sleep is a dream and we are up ad running in seconds. Windows gives us time for someone to make coffee!

I wondered if I'd be happier with 1gb in the Macbook for Windows? Since I have a 24" imac in my study I was planning to upgrade that to 2gb and reuse the sodimm's in the macbook... but I'm waiting for an "acceptable price" for two 1gb sodimms and NOT the "valueram" that some vendors are pushing!

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
I was wondering if the core duos are worth it? With all the past problems and what not...

I wanted to get my sister one, but she doesn't need what the new ones are offering. Plus I want to save some cash.

What do you think?

And are the 1.83 CD Macbooks still popping up? If so, anyone know how much? Thanks!
As far as I can tell, Apple fixed all of the problems the early CD laptops were having by the end of the product cycle. I think as long as you are getting one that was manufactured toward the end of the cycle, you will be fine. Presumably any of the refurbished models have also had any problems fixed, so I would go ahead and get one if they show up in the refurbished store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.