Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kinesin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
I recently installed the v1.0 macbook firmware EFI that fixes a few sleep issues, and it's completely changed the way my macbook works.

If I now close the lid it will sleep for a few seconds, but once I leave it alone it either shuts down/crashes and will power up on opening again.

Once logged back in, firefox reports itself as having crashed. Now this never happened before firmware updated - but now happens every time. What can I do??

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I had this problem from a bad RAM chip. I guess it had something to do with the fact the RAM wouldn't hold its contents in sleep mode, so OS X would reboot after sleep getting confused by the RAM. I verified this on my MB and MBP.

Try swapping your old RAM back and see if the problem persists. Otherwise, give Applecare a call.

kinesin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
It seems strange that it's only since the firmware update went on that this is happening. It macbook looks like it's sleeping (winking light), but then Dings on opening the lid.
It's possible to rollback the firmware update?

kinesin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
I had this problem from a bad RAM chip. I guess it had something to do with the fact the RAM wouldn't hold its contents in sleep mode, so OS X would reboot after sleep getting confused by the RAM. I verified this on my MB and MBP.

Try swapping your old RAM back and see if the problem persists. Otherwise, give Applecare a call.

Well thanks for the hint. I swapped by 2GB of ebay ram out and installed the original Mac ram and it works. I'm gutted that Apple that put in some vendor checks and balances to stop my networking with sleep.
The ram still passes memtest, and used to work 100% fine before the EFI version 1.0 update - Be aware follow macbook users :mad:

//guess I need a sig edit..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.