Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
I just got my C2D Macbook today and im over the moon it, it gets quite warm on the bottom, not stupidly warm or anything but never the less i want to download one of these fan control programs and turn them up a little.

So i just want to know what is the best one and also what is a nice speed to turn them up to, i dont want to wear my fans out after a year but i want a bit of diffrence in temps.

so yeah what program, what speed.

And advice/exp would be great, Thanks.

DigitalN.

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2007
My macbook fan runs pretty loud since I have it folding proteins and searching for aliens. Is it possible this will shorten the life of the computer or some of its parts?

doubtful, I've had my dads old PC running his fans at 5000RPM for over 5 years, still just as loud and healthy.

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
I would think that running the CPU cooler would prolong the life of your MB. It will not void the warranty. smcFanControl works by setting the minimum fan speed. Its lowest setting is the same as the default minimum speed set by Apple.

Oh yeah i know what you mean, cooler macbook = longer life im just saying for the fans wearing out with them spining more/faster. As longs if i get about 3 year outa them with them spinning at about 3500 i'll be happy.

I should get that right...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.