Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
plinden said:
I think what some people are taking issue with is, before the new Mini was introduced, Mac users sneered at integrated graphics because we thought it was inferior. Then there was a shift the other way.

For some Mac users, this may be because Apple can do no wrong - people like that are annoying no matter whether they're Mac or PC users.

However, for most people (well me - and I am most people, in case you didn't know) it was "hunh? Integrated graphics? Crap". Then we see the benchmarks and see that it's not too bad ... in fact it's pretty good ... for what we actually use our computers for. And we come to the conclusion that it's pretty good for what you pay.

But the IIG-haters just can't get past "integrated graphics". They can't get past the one benchmark (framerate). It doesn't matter that you can't play Doom 3 on a $1100 PC laptop (e.g. Dell E1405) either, or that the MacBook is as fast at CPU tasks as the MBP and faster than any PC at the same price point.

The rest of us, who have reached the acceptance stage, can point to benchmarks showing Photoshop, iMovie, Cinema4D and iTunes and hundreds of other applications being CPU bound and not GPU bound, till we're blue in the face. It's not going to change the opinion "Don't Hurt Me" etc.

Couldnt agree more. Thanks for posting some sense :)

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
This title IS pretty misleading.

Although it does put things into perspective that the new MPB IS faster at some benchmarks than the MPB that Apple was selling up until a few days ago for hundreds more.

Other than gaming, this is a pretty great machine, at an excellent price.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
plinden said:
I think what some people are taking issue with is, before the new Mini was introduced, Mac users sneered at integrated graphics because we thought it was inferior. Then there was a shift the other way.

For some Mac users, this may be because Apple can do no wrong - people like that are annoying no matter whether they're Mac or PC users.

However, for most people (well me - and I am most people, in case you didn't know) it was "hunh? Integrated graphics? Crap". Then we see the benchmarks and see that it's not too bad ... in fact it's pretty good ... for what we actually use our computers for. And we come to the conclusion that it's pretty good for what you pay.

But the IIG-haters just can't get past "integrated graphics". They can't get past the one benchmark (framerate). It doesn't matter that you can't play Doom 3 on a $1100 PC laptop (e.g. Dell E1405) either, or that the MacBook is as fast at CPU tasks as the MBP and faster than any PC at the same price point.

The rest of us, who have reached the acceptance stage, can point to benchmarks showing Photoshop, iMovie, Cinema4D and iTunes and hundreds of other applications being CPU bound and not GPU bound, till we're blue in the face. It's not going to change the opinion "Don't Hurt Me" etc.

that is the best and most reasonable summary of what's going on with integrated graphics that i've read on this topic.

thanks, andi

MacBookDJ

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2006
San Francisco
Apple certainly realized that the integrated vs. non-integrated graphics question would generate a lot of discussion. Those who keep saying that the MacBook is "crap" because of the graphics are playing right into the hands of Apple's marketing machine... by persuading people to go with the MacBook Pro instead (for many extra $$) when they probably don't rally need to. The MacBook certainly performs graphics tasks well enough for most average users... but all the FUD keeps many from understanding that.

Hey, I'm sure we'll see a graphics update down the road for the MacBooks, probably when the Pros are upgraded to a different processor, but that doesn't make today's MacBook automatically "crap."

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
milo said:
This title IS pretty misleading.

Although it does put things into perspective that the new MPB IS faster at some benchmarks than the MPB that Apple was selling up until a few days ago for hundreds more.

Other than gaming, this is a pretty great machine, at an excellent price.

I changed the starting thread to reflect this miss understanding unfortunetly you cant change thread topic titles after the event.

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
People read the aritcle before you judge the MacBook Pro, because the last time I checked my old dell desktop os faster then my new dell desktop... O yeah thats because there are 2 xeons in the desktop and a p 4 in the new

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.