Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

streetfighter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
For the past 3 consecutive days my week old Macbook keyboard and mouse freeze and lock up. This usually happens after a few hours of web browsing. The computer does not necessarily freeze, as the clock still ticks, its just that keyboard and mouse lose functionality.

Is this a heat related issue? Can this be remedied via a firmware upgrade? I am running SMC version 1.13f3. I tried to install firmware 1.412 that was released this past October but OS X tells me that I don't need an update. Am I running the lastest firmware?

Thanks.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Have you tried using an external keyboard and mouse for day just to see if it still does it? It could be a number of things doing it. Yes, it could be heat related but its doubtful. It could be just a simple software issue. Its not uncommon for Macs to ship with bad installations of OS X as it happens every once in a while.

Is it always in Safari, or in any app after while or use?

The firmware software updater will tell you if you need the update. If it doesn't allow you to install it, then you don't need it. I don't think it will help your issue anyways as the firmware update didn't pertain to the problem you're having.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.