Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Hello folks.
I have been searching around for a possible topic that mentions any dust issue with the keyboards of Macbooks.
I noticed something that I have lots of dust particles under the keyboard buttons of my 2021 MBP 14".

Do you think it can be a problem after some time, so do I need to use a keyboard cover to prevent this?
I actually use a keyboard cover when I am home, however usually in library or outside, I do use nothing to protect it from dusts/liquids etc.

I appreciate your comments in advance. Thanks!

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
Dust gets everywhere, including laptop keyboards. If the keyboard looks really dirty to you, you can use a "canned air" spray to clean it, or even your regular home vacuum cleaner if you're careful. (Some high-powered industrial monstrosity could actually eat the keycaps right off the keyboard.)

For a few years Apple used a new type of keyboard mechanism that was pretty susceptible to getting clogged with dust, but they've walked back on that. The current design is similar to the old one (the same that most other laptops use) and it seems to work just fine, even with a bit of dust.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Dust gets everywhere, including laptop keyboards. If the keyboard looks really dirty to you, you can use a "canned air" spray to clean it, or even your regular home vacuum cleaner if you're careful. (Some high-powered industrial monstrosity could actually eat the keycaps right off the keyboard.)

For a few years Apple used a new type of keyboard mechanism that was pretty susceptible to getting clogged with dust, but they've walked back on that. The current design is similar to the old one (the same that most other laptops use) and it seems to work just fine, even with a bit of dust.
Oh, that sounds great then. I did not know the details of the keyboard. But anyway, if it is pretty easy to clean, as you explained, I am already okay with it. So I no more concern for my keyboard 😅

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I sometime use the Swiffer Dusting pads on my keyboard and even my external matte external screen to remove dust. I also clean out the inside of my lap over 18 months or so. Never had a problem with dust causing any type of damage.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I'll either use a puff of air from my mouth now and then or, if I can find it, a compressed can of air and do a few slight puffs to keep dust from accumulating - every few weeks. I do use my laptop in clamshell mode more than ever now so dust hasn't been as big of a deal as it has in the past.

I had a butterfly keyboard for almost 3 years and my wife almost 4 and we never had problems with it. But we do know people who did. Maybe my every few weeks puffing helped? Who knows. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.