Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallShaffer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
This is for all of you with your shiny new macbooks.

I've got a 1.83 version, and found out a little glitch.

When I press caps lock (at the top of the button), the key actually pops out part way at the bottom until I press it again to go back into place. If anybody else has that going on, let me know!

dmetzcher

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2005
NJ
Haven't heard this yet, but there is another thread in this forum about a broken keyboard key. Take it to an Apple store and insist on a replacement keyboard, at the very least. Tell them you'll return the whole thing if they refuse to replace the KB. They should be able to do it right there in the store. They are usually good about that sort of thing. Have a Mac Genius look at it, and they'll probaby replace the keyboard for you. They did it for my iBook when the far right side of the spacebar wouldn't register a keypress. It was annoying, but the key still worked. I asked for a new keyboard and he went into the back and got one for me.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
That shouldn't be happening take it into your local Apple store and request a replacement MacBook, I personally wouldn't accept for it to be repaired or have a new keyboard fitted due to the fact it is almost brand new and its obviously a design fault....

SHadoW

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
EricNau said:
Can the MacBook keyboards be replaced? The new design looks like it wouldn't be possible.

Apparently they can quite easily, the initial rumors that they were connected to the trackpad etc and need to be replaced as a whole seem to be false.....

ShadoW

dmetzcher

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2005
NJ
EricNau said:
Can the MacBook keyboards be replaced? The new design looks like it wouldn't be possible.
I'm sure that they can, but it looks like it involves a little more work than just popping the keyboard out and popping a new one in, as it is with the iBooks.

dmetzcher

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2005
NJ
shadowmoses said:
That shouldn't be happening take it into your local Apple store and request a replacement MacBook, I personally wouldn't accept for it to be repaired or have a new keyboard fitted due to the fact it is almost brand new and its obviously a design fault....

SHadoW
For most design faults, I would completely agree with you, but, if this is just the keyboard that has the issue, I'd let them replace it and be done with the whole mess. It's better than having to backup and restore my data onto the new machine when I get it. Now, if the issue has to do with something other than the keyboard, and it's presenting itself via the keyboard, that's a different story, and I'd feel more comfortable having the whole thing replaced.

Dead pixels are a different matter altogether, however. I think that a dead pixel in the first few months demands a replacement, but that's just my own opinion, and I take a hard line when it comes to new displays and dead pixels.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
dmetzcher said:
I'm sure that they can, but it looks like it involves a little more work than just popping the keyboard out and popping a new one in, as it is with the iBooks.
From early reports, you would have to remove and replace the entire top part of the casing, including trackpad. Whether this is true or not, you certainly have to remove the casing and replace the keybaord, more hassle than the iBooks had.

TallShaffer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Well, here's the problem with returning it to my local Apple store.

I bought it at comp usa (got a discount), and they don't get them in nearly as often as the apple store. I honestly don't mind, as I never use the caps lock key. I just thought I'd ask. I'll probably drop by comp and ask them if they can fix it for me.

moominman46

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2007
RE: MacBook Keyboard Issues

this is slightly off topic but i found it to be very useful nonetheless..

bought my shiny new MacBook, only to find that the """'''""" key wasnt working so great - only registered about 2/3 of the time that i pressed it. whilst reading this string, i found that you can pop off the covers to each individual key, and there are little rubber feet in there. the little rubber foot under my speech mark key wasnt sitting correctly in its little hole, so i nudged it in the right direction, and it works 100% of the time now! o if thats your problem, dont go storming off to the store just yet :p

Hope This Will help someone - was really dreading taking it back to getting repaired/replaced, dont know how i would live without it! lol

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
this is a littile off topic as well but just about my only complaint with my blackbook is that its hard to type in the dark, especially because i dont know how to type proficiently without looking at the keyboard. Since you folks said its possible to change the keys, would it be possible to change and install some kind of led lights under the keyboard and install keys which would allow the light to show through the letters. Like the MPB keyboard i think. Ever heard of someone doing this? Is it even possible?

pcMark

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2009
MacBook Pro Keyboard replacement

You can replace just the keyboard. It takes a little time and you will need a T6 driver. (YOu would need the T6 driver for replacing the entire front panel as well). Instructions for dis-assembly can be found at http://www.powerbookmedic.com/mac-repair.php Two videos are relevant: 1) remove top cover 2) remove keyboard (from top cover). (You can also buy the part at powermedic.com or send them the machine and have them do it.) I have not compared their pricing, and their video does not show re-assembly, so you will have to infer from the dis-assembly instructions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.