Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcol

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2005
Norwich, UK
Cheapest MacBook-comparable T60 I could find in the UK:

http://www.microwarehouse.co.uk/catalogue/item/IBMN076T

£1432, and that's with a 1.83 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM and 80 GB hard drive

The graphics card is a big plus over the Mac Book, but a 2.0 GHz, 512 MB, 80 GB MacBook is £939 from Apple; add AppleCare to take the warranty to 3 years (like the T60) and it's £1,138:

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore/

The MacBook has a smaller but higher-res screen (1280 x 800 vs 1024 x 768), a built-in web cam, comes with a remote, and (IMHO) is a much better-looking piece of hardware.

If you want a notebook to 3D play games, the T60 is the better bet of the two (but still won't give you the performance of a considerably cheaper desktop machine). If you don't need the Radeon X1300, I'd say the MacBook looks the more compelling.

P.S. Yeah, I know this is all slightly OT because it doesn't answer the OP's question and s/he can get the T60 at a much more comparable price than I could find in the UK, but I thought I'd widen the scope a little :) Personally? I have a MacBook on order - until non-Apple machines run OSX they're not even a consideration :D

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
Where do you get a Thinkpad with those specs for that price? I'll get one (also in Canada). And what's the model number?

1nsanity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
Thank you for the many replies.

It is true that it really comes to software in the end, except I don't like the fact the Macbok gets hot, I had a Rev C 12" powerbook and I hated how hot it got.
Personnally the laptop is a tool and the only thing I would miss from MacOSX, the only thing migth be iLife.

I've had a thinkpad a long time ago and the 5 years it was in our family, it still looked brand new after all that time.

I just want to let the hardcore MAC OsX fans I'm not against the OS, I just don't see the value for me to use it.....for now anyways.

drake: the price is trough the employe store, so unless you know someone in your family or close relative you won't get the deal......

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Abstract said:
The better laptop is the T60, both in terms of quality, ruggedness, and specs. Those Thinkpads are famous for being the best --- "tanks." Even Steve-o had a Thinkpad, and that was only like 6 years ago, when he was already working at Apple, and they had the PowerBook in the lineup

The MacBook happens to run OSX, and the BlackBook looks better than the white version (IMO) or T60.

If you have no trouble keeping your OS secure, and need to run WinXP, the Lenovo isn't a bad choice. But if OSX is important for you to have, then of course get the MacBook. It really depends on how important OSX is to you, though.

Exactly

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
AntonicKnight said:
I’m kind of surprised by the general opinion that ThinkPads are more durable laptops than Apple MacBooks.

Apples have great build quality, but are fairly delicate. I wouldn't want mine falling off a chair. The Thinkpad feels much more rugged, built like a tank.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
AntonicKnight said:
It was my understanding that MPBs/PBs have always been praised because of their solid, rugged enclosure. Or do they feel as if they’re not built for anything but sitting on a desk?

MBPs and PBs aren't praise for their solid enclosure. The exact opposite is true. If you want to see a "dent" in a laptop, just knock the Powerbook once. I'm sure Dell, IBM, Gateway, HP, etc etc.....can all take a beating better than a PB/MBP. Aluminium is pretty, but it's really like crushing a can of Coke when it's empty. Once again, aluminium isn't exactly dent-proof.

Now the past iBooks.....now THOSE were praised as being tough. To be more specific, they were praised for being able to take a beating, particularly by students. That was pretty much a marketing strategy or something --- "Throw it in your backpack with your books, and away you go." Three or 4 years ago, people used to just put them in a soft laptop "sleeve" and put it into their backpack. No, not a laptop-backpack, but a plain old backpack.

Think of it this way: If the IBM T60 was a Hummer, the MBP/PB would be a Mini Cooper. ;) The iBook would be a solid product, but not exactly a "tank."

vikas soni said:
The Thinkpad(or any other PC laptop) is just a PC. And simply put is just Fugly. We people here just love our Macs(atleast me do). The MacBook is definitely a solid machine and can take a beating.

You can't prove that. They're built to be similar to iBooks, but who knows how solid the frame is. You've had your laptop for what......1 week now? Maybe 2 if you're lucky?

other

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2005
dextertangocci said:
With windows?:rolleyes: YEAH RIGHT! What do you use it for, solitaire?:D

I hate to brake it to you, but there are a lot of other operating systems.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
IBM Thinkpads are very good, and from what I hear Lenovo is only improving on that.

My only argument in favor of the MBP is that it can run Windows and OS X...ThinkPad is Windows only. If you get a Rev B maybe the noise and heat issues will have been worked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.