Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2006
/private/var/root
me too.. sucks cuz i had it on my first mb (before it got replaced for screen issues) and now i have two on my 2nd mb.. sucks.. i just have scotch tape over them so they dont move.. ones on the left side of the keyboard and one in the exact place as my old one.. (towards the bottom right corner)
how long did it take for people to get it fix at an apple store because i dont want to be without a computer because school starts in less than a week

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I think alot of people who has had these cracks actually either dropped it at once point or did something for it to crack because it wouldnt just crack without force, it just isnt physically logical.

Of course the user pattern of the notebook affects the outcome, but in this case the basic problem is poor design by Apple.

Magnetic latch & plastic = Not good.

lovetheduns

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
well.... just great.

Ironically, I have never browsed in this forum--- but I was browsing in the iPhone forum and reading about the white iPhone crack issues (thankfully my white has no cracks-- so far).

I then heard for the first time about the macbooks cracking. I went over mine last night and could not find a crack---

and yet literally ten minutes ago, I have a crack (and now the sliver of plastic is separating completely) on the edge of the right palm rest where the right foot would hit.

As for "abuse" this macbook was purchased brand new in November 2007 and has rarely left my house (in fact has rarely left my upholstered coffee table in my living room-- if I got out in a public I bring my work laptop). The laptop has never been dropped and is in pretty immaculate condition.

How disappointing. I have made an appointment for Tuesday. :(

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Of course the user pattern of the notebook affects the outcome, but in this case the basic problem is poor design by Apple.

Magnetic latch & plastic = Not good.

I dont see how magnetic latch and plastic would cause a crack, unless you slam the s*it out of the lid to close it.

But I would think the screen bezel would break long before the palm rest areas will crack.

Seriously though I do believe that people are mistreating the macbook and complaining about it cracking.

Same thing goes for people who own mbps just that the aluminum dents rather than cracking.

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
ugh i hate reading about this...

i keep debating about what macbook to get (reg or pro) but seeing all the pics and reading all the threads about it... it's really turning me off of getting a macbook...

That's understandable, but it's worth remembering that all computers have problems of one kind or another, and the nature of these forums are that people will come here to post problems, not when their computer is working well.

FWIW, on the positive side of things, I got a Core Duo (not core 2) based Black Macbook when they were brand new and I've been very happy with it. I had to get a new battery but Apple handled that very quickly and with no fuss. The case on my computer isn't cracking or anything. It does look like it's done a few miles, mostly because it has.

It's been a fast and reliable companion and many of my colleagues who have seen it or heard me rave about how wonderful it is have been tempted to jump into the Apple camp by it - and none of them have regretted it yet.

You also can see case faults on machines from other manufacturers here and there. Dell and HP have been caught big time by problems with nvidia graphics cards too.

The issue isn't "who doesn't make mistakes" because they all do. The question is "how well do they handle those mistakes" and I for one have been pleased with how Apple have treated me up to now.

Whatever you choose, think about how well it does what you want it to do and whether or not the manufacturer will stand behind their product with decent support... and I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to get.

Suspended
Jun 16, 2008
$590 shipped for a C2D 1.83 GHz. I'm mainly targeting broken MacBooks, but the bidding seemed so low for a fully functioning machine. Even working Core Duo MacBooks typically go for close to $700.

%$#&** ??? I just found myself a job. (just kidding, awesome though)

doctor pangloss

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2004
Thailand
Maybe the problem simply isn't widespread enough, despite what research on the internet makes it out to be.
Having said that, I agree, I think they should strive for a fix the moment such a problem becomes known to them.

It is happening to my machine too. Less than one year old, hardrive failed last month, now the plastic is falling apart.
I use is very lightly, baby it in fact.
It's an outrage for an expensive piece of equipment like this to disintegrate so easily.:mad:

lovetheduns

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
I dont see how magnetic latch and plastic would cause a crack, unless you slam the s*it out of the lid to close it.

But I would think the screen bezel would break long before the palm rest areas will crack.

Seriously though I do believe that people are mistreating the macbook and complaining about it cracking.

Same thing goes for people who own mbps just that the aluminum dents rather than cracking.

I seriously hope jjahshik that you do not find your macbook cracking in the future. I can count on one hand how many times my macbook has left my house (I can only come up with two times quite honestly). I don't think my macbook could be babied anymore than it is.

ALL of my pieces of technical equipment are treated with kid gloves.

:(

Needless to say I am overwhelmingly disappointed in the condition.

FCBarca

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008

You'd be wrong...The only explanation that is plausible in the event that it is indeed not happening to everyone is that there is a manufacturer defect with one of the pieces that is leading to the crack.

Otherwise, it's simply an ignorant conclusion to come to that people with cracks are having them because somehow they've mistreated it. :rolleyes:

Way to weigh in with constructive opinions :apple:

My mom has had her macbook for 2 1/2 years now and even though the keyboard is very dirty and the screen is pretty dirty since she never cleans it and her dog is always on her lap with the dog's tongue hanging out.. the white macbook never had any cracks or any other problems..

I think alot of people who has had these cracks actually either dropped it at once point or did something for it to crack because it wouldnt just crack without force, it just isnt physically logical.

Talk about illogical...Not physically logical?...Why?...Plastic being tapped over and over again, regardless of force, by a magnet can't cause a crack?...Meanwhile it's happened to many people all with the same sort of story?...Google around, it's widespread...Yeah, really illogical :rolleyes:

I've come to the conclusion that the best bet here is to simply flip it (CL or ebay) once it is fixed (Should receive it back tomorrow)...Not going to go through that again...Perhaps the new macbooks to come out will address this issue in an improved chassis/design

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I agree it is so obviously a design flaw you just have to look at where the screen rests sits on the bottom casing to see that it is going to cause a problem.

My MB crack a 2 inch strip off it about 2 weeks ago. Have yet to take it in for repair but when I phoned up apple they simply waved it through so it is a known issue.

Not best pleased about it as I know it will likely happen again in the future, although that said my MB has been to and from the apple store so much that if it does happen again I am certain I will be passed up though to customer relations.

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada
My 11 month old MB has allready had a replacement fan, a top case because of palmrest cracking on both sides.......and now the bottom case is cracking !!!

And i look after my MB like a baby !!!

And the DVD drive is constantly ejecting, even with no DVD in the drive.....

Thank goodness i have another 2 years of Applecare..........

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
Uh, no. This thing sits on a desk 90% of the time, and it's had the case crack 3 times. Many other people baby these laptops too, it's not abuse, it's a design flaw. Your mom is just lucky.

Well i think its not the people because i was rough on mine and well it never cracked i think they changed the plastic when the c2d models came out

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
You'd be wrong...The only explanation that is plausible in the event that it is indeed not happening to everyone is that there is a manufacturer defect with one of the pieces that is leading to the crack.

Otherwise, it's simply an ignorant conclusion to come to that people with cracks are having them because somehow they've mistreated it. :rolleyes:

Way to weigh in with constructive opinions :apple:

Talk about illogical...Not physically logical?...Why?...Plastic being tapped over and over again, regardless of force, by a magnet can't cause a crack?...Meanwhile it's happened to many people all with the same sort of story?...Google around, it's widespread...Yeah, really illogical :rolleyes:

I've come to the conclusion that the best bet here is to simply flip it (CL or ebay) once it is fixed (Should receive it back tomorrow)...Not going to go through that again...Perhaps the new macbooks to come out will address this issue in an improved chassis/design

How could a piece of plastic just sitting there never to get dropped or to get hit hard start to develop a crack?

So you guys are saying that apple manufactures their own plastic and one of them has a defect?? Or they use two different brands of plastic and one of them has a defect so that it'll crack without doing anything to it?? I find that impossible since every single item I've owned that are even cheaper in plastic never broke while just handling it even without care.

It has to be either you bumped hard or dropped it for that to happen.

Maybe its due to the heat? When the macbook heats up where the harddrive or optical drive is located and say you bump it hard or something it COULD develop a crack.

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada

Maybe its due to the heat? When the macbook heats up where the harddrive or optical drive is located and say you bump it hard or something it COULD develop a crack.

I have never bumped or mistreated my MB, and the palmrest cracked......so stop telling people that they are careless with there macs.......

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
How could a piece of plastic just sitting there never to get dropped or to get hit hard start to develop a crack?

Material defect. Not saying that's the case with the MB but you asked how could it happen, and that might be one way.

So you guys are saying that apple manufactures their own plastic and one of them has a defect?? Or they use two different brands of plastic and one of them has a defect so that it'll crack without doing anything to it?? I find that impossible since every single item I've owned that are even cheaper in plastic never broke while just handling it even without care.

So let me get this straight. It hasn't happened to you so therefore it couldn't possibly happen anywhere else period? I'm really sorry you had to find out this way but the world doesn't orbit you.

Now you're just being offensive. Essentially you've said everyone who has come here and talked about how carefully they've treated their macbook is either a liar or a fool.

And here you've just said that is a defect after all. Can you please make your mind up?

FCBarca

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008

Apparently the sheer litany of posts here and around the net on this topic hasn't made clear the issue or the mechanism by which it is happening...Let me try, again.

The plastic on the palm rest area that is routinely cracking is the result of the magnet latches that are embedded along the top edge of the screen when closing and opening the macbook...It's either the result of the plastic not being able to withstand repetitive 'tapping' or contact from the magnets or the heat that is generated from the macbook simply makes the plastic more prone to cracks when making contact with said latches.

In the first place it would be entirely inaccurate to conclude that Apple manufacturers their own plastic palm rests...I doubt they assemble them either...The reality, however, is that either in design or in practice with the plastic or lack of cushion is resulting in these cracks...Heat may also play a part....And, yes, things like plastic are notorious for having defects regardless of the stature of Apple, plastic is plastic...It can be brittle and it can crack.

And once again with the myopic conclusion :rolleyes:

Midos

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Sigh. This happened to me about a year ago on my Macbook (bought Nov '06) and I just put up with it, but last night I noticed that a similar crack had developed along the left-hand side of the palmrest.

It actually drives me insane. I can't claim to have treated my Macbook as well as some of the people on here -- I use it for university, so it gets a fair amount of use out of the house -- but I've always treated it within the normal range that you would treat any expensive, delicate piece of equipment.

I'm living in Ireland and don't have a "Genius Bar" on the entire island, unless I'm mistaken, is there any hope for me to have it repaired? I don't have Applecare, etc, but this is clearly a design flaw that Apple should repair. I'd really appreciate it if someone could advise me about what to do!

Thank you in advance.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007

It's been pointed out before... For a trained eye, or someone with insight in for example material physics, or just common sense... having a strong magnetic latch apply focused pressure on plastic at that very position at the edge of the palmrest might lead to stress in the plastic material, and eventually it might crack.

This is completely logical. There is no need for anyone to have treated their MacBook badly. There are several variables that will affect when a crack will appear, such as how frequent you open and close the lid, how hard you close the lid, how long it remains closed, etc. And combination of heat or even cold conditions, might actually help the crack to develop faster.

The fact is that it is poor design and QA of Apple, because the cracks appear from normal user patterns. I don't see why anyone is still defending Apple over this, or still is accusing people of treating their MacBooks badly. I bet this cracking issue will go away once the MacBook comes in aluminium... ;)

I think Apple has not acknowledged this issue more openly, because it is particulary embarassing for them. They have acknowledged other issues (just recently the MagSafe problem), but never this issue with cracks...

doctor pangloss

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2004
Thailand
You'd think they could engineer a piece of plastic which doesn't crack, given all the technical advances which exist these days.

Otherwise the simple solution is to never use the POS.
But according to the prognosis this crack could develop simply by leaving the lid closed.

So you don't even have to use this computer for it to break. Now that's innovation. Good thinking Apple engineers!

iRebecca27

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
took mine to the genious bar, they replaced it, no questions asked, for free. They gave me a new keyboard and tracpad too. it was sweet, since mine was getting pretty dirty

IanHarold

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
I noticed a crack in my right side, damn near EXACT, to the first posts picture. I treat my macbook better than my girlfriend, but do open and close it frequently (pretty much everytime im done with it i close it and slide it under y coffee table) I noticed on the left side that isnt cracked there is an obvious indentation of where the left side magnet rests. Taking it to the apple store on Tuesday so I'll post back and let everyone know how an up to date visit is.

P.S. first post on here!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.