Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pookitoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
Paris
hello everyone,

I've the 13 MacBook Pro with touchbar maxed out, and i've tried to made some video editing from a 30 minutes video took with my iPhone 7 : 1080p hd 60p and i'm little surprised because it seem very laggy and it seem to not perform well when I edit the video.

I want to know if it's normal ? Because the experience is not very good, and it's not a 4K video. Maybe I've made a mistake (i'm not very good in Final Cut Pro, i'm starting to learn)

For exemple my video project took 300 go disk space !!! Maybe because i've quote stabilization with smoothcam ?

Heruhur

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2017
Oldebroek
hello everyone,

I've the 13 MacBook Pro with touchbar maxed out, and i've tried to made some video editing from a 30 minutes video took with my iPhone 7 : 1080p hd 60p and i'm little surprised because it seem very laggy and it seem to not perform well when I edit the video.

I want to know if it's normal ? Because the experience is not very good, and it's not a 4K video. Maybe I've made a mistake (i'm not very good in Final Cut Pro, i'm starting to learn)

For exemple my video project took 300 go disk space !!! Maybe because i've quote stabilization with smoothcam ?
I'm using final cut pro on a 13" tbMBP as well.
I'm not experiencing (or noticing) lag.
Is the fcpx project on the internal drive?
Did you let fcpx create optimized media on import?

Last edited:

pookitoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
Paris
Thanks for your answer !
So yes the project is on the internal storage, I've let final cut optimize the file.

Like I said i've put on the stabilisation with SmoothCam on all the video ? It can be the cause ? And why my project took 345 go on my disk ? I don't have any space anymore . It's just a simple video (a 30 min interview)

And you made some video editing on the 13 inch without any issue ? I'm a beginner so I need to do some tutorial, but I want to know if the 13 inch can handle video editing without any issue . I don't want to make some 1h30 movie with big special effect ! But maybe some commercial little movie with good quality (from a GoPro, maybe in 4K short footage)

Heruhur

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2017
Oldebroek
Yes i've made some clips with it (i'm no pro either), but not at 30mins lenght.
No problems so far, it feels nice, smooth and snappy, except for 10.3.3 crashing now and then.(no problems on 10.3.2)
With my tbMBP being the basic 512gb model, yours should be more than capable.

About the size, optimizing video means fcpx transcodes the footage to "prores 422" format (should be 1920x1080,29.97p) which roughly takes 17Mb per second of drivespace.
So 30 min translates into: 30x60=1800 seconds 1800x17=30600Mb
Wich is more or less 30Gb.
So 345Gb seems odd.
I would check the settings first, (60p prores 4444 would eat disk space for breakfast)
I haven't seen massive size increases from adding effects as smoothcam, so i doubt that's the cause.

pookitoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
Paris
Ok thanks a lot, so I can be serene, the 13 inch MacBook Pro can handle Final cut pro editing for small project, even in 4k ? I've certainly done a mistake to have lag and and a huge file like that

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Im also using a maxed out 13 inch MacBook Pro and don't seem to be having these issues sounds like you have a setting maybe set wrong. encode in prores 422 HQ if you have to and turn on background rendering as that takes up a huge amount of resources.

pookitoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
Paris
Thanks for your answer, and yes background rendering is on (every 0,3 s) I think it's that is slow down the editing. And now I'm sure background rendering take the huge amount of space, every time I 'm doing a change, he make a rendering .

And for you, how do you manage that ? You put a rendering less often ? you turn off the background rendering ?

(ps : did you ever done a 4K editing on the 13 inch ?)

Falcon9

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Eastern Canada
I use Final Cut on my 13" (granted the 2015 model; but performance should be similar-ish), and final cut runs quite nicely (not as good as on my iMac, but still fairly lag free for the most part). It does seems to struggle a bit with transitions between clips though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.