Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

selcuks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
I've installed the new Sierra beta 10.12.3 and it hasn't helped my battery life at all, still can only get about 5.5 hours on the MBP 13 w/touch bar. Have absolutely no idea how CR achieved those figures!

Nilhum

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2016
Return it and wait for next years model. Apple was working on packing more battery into the 2016 Macbook but did not have enough time

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
I've installed the new Sierra beta 10.12.3 and it hasn't helped my battery life at all, still can only get about 5.5 hours on the MBP 13 w/touch bar. Have absolutely no idea how CR achieved those figures!

you can definitely get more than what you are getting now, but I agree CR #s are completely inaccurate and their testing is not real world if you ask me.

You basically have to strip out some functions of the machine. remove Siri, turn down screen brightness, use only safari and install Ghostery. Shut off BT, and Notifications. Turn off Keyboard backlight and Autobrightness. When you are done for the day shut the machine down entirely. All these things will help if you haven't done it already. If you have, maybe take it to Apple.

If I think of anything I may have forgot that I did I will repost. Poster above is correct btw, they put a small battery in these, can't get around that with Software updates. Anything new won't be out until very late next year, and there is no guarantee there either. So if can't wait you can make this one work just fine. I love mine, but I retired a very old white MB.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah

Have you been checking your activity monitor to see what uses the energy? CR's tests are done at what many consider low screen brightness (100 nits), and with Safari. Is that what you're using?

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Have you been checking your activity monitor to see what uses the energy? CR's tests are done at what many consider low screen brightness (100 nits), and with Safari. Is that what you're using?

Not sure how may nits, but yes I use safari and my brightness is right to the top left corner of the #9 key all the time. I used to check my AM a lot, now I just use it and enjoy it and accept that the battery life is just good, not stellar.

Reactions: Sanpete

selcuks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 02.00.25.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 02.00.25.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: Sanpete
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.