Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joyful1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2021
Thought I would start a new thread for fear of it getting lost in all the other threads on here about this issue. I have a 2017 13" MacBook Pro that developed the dreaded 'stagelights' effect. I couldn't get it fixed via the consumer law in the UK as it was bought for me through a company that someone worked for at the time but the person no longer worked there.

I spoke to Apple on chat/phone on numerous occasions but all they said was the 2017 Macs were not in the repair programme so I couldn't have a free repair. I took it to my local Apple shop and they told me the same, that it would cost approx £500 - £600. I was also having a problem with sticky keys so I once again went on chat and told them about that issue. They made me an appointment for the Genius Bar to have the keyboard looked at.

I was seen by a great guy at the Genius Bar who explained my Mac was just out of warranty for the keyboard repair, I also bought up the Flexgate problem with the screen. He told me to go home and gave me a number to call for Customer Care, I rang the number and got through to a Senior Technician who said he would issue a 'CS' code (Customer Satisfaction) to give me a free repair.

Back to the Genius Bar and the same guy I saw before told me he would repair everything under the CS code. So Apple gave me a new screen, a new keyboard and put a new battery in my MacBook Pro. As you can imagine I was highly delighted and my faith was restored in Apple. I thought I would share this with you all and tell you that persistence worked in the end and just to add, I never made demands or lost my temper with these guys.

comradetim

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2021
Hey can you share some more details regarding the 'CS' code and how did you contact that Senior Technician. It would be lifesaving for my machine.

Reactions: cat4every

Joyful1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2021
My message above is all I can tell you really, the number I rang was the Apple Care UK number and I asked to speak with a Senior Technician. I didn't request the CS code (I knew nothing of them), it was just issued to me for the problem with my sticky keyboard. Good Luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.