Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WorldIRC

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2005
I just put a 500gb drive in my laptop! Because of the drive density, the thing flies compared to the 320

gonwk

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
Hi folks,

@ GotPro ... THANKS ... UT guy ... Longhorns all the way (Austin campus).

I guess due to my choices ... I am jumping at the 7200 one.

Thanks everyone,

G!:)

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Let's just put it this way.

I recently got my new MacBook Pro with the 7200RPM hard disk.

My "boss" who is the head of the IT department (I support ~300 Macs for the University of Texas System) had the almost identical 15" MacBook Pro, save with the 5400RPM hard disk.

After playing around with mine... he has a 7200RPM hard disk sitting on his desk waiting to be installed.

He's pissed he didn't order it with the faster drive.

:)

1. What size is the 5400?
2. Have you breached the 80% capacity yet?

gonwk

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
Hi

@ Cave Man ... I think with this reply I am hearing you Loud & Clear :D ... going with the 320GB ... also Tom's Hardware rates it #1.

My only Q ... let's say I am too cheap and I go with the 250GB becuase it is $100+ cheaper ... how hard is it to swap to 320GB or even 500GB at a later date and have my OS installed since the darn OS now comes on the HD and not as a Stand-alone install DVD or CD!?!?

Thanks,

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
7200!

The power difference is <1W at normal usage and just over > 1W when starting up.

Only reason to get 5400 is if you need more space!

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
very true, because im also using 7200 HD, and i totally regret it as it makes my MBP alot more heat faster than my friend's 5400 HD MBP

my suggestion is

stick with the default 160 gig 5400

and buy an external HD that runs 7200

that way, is better, you can store your files on the external HD without having to fear for an overheat for your MBP

Yeah, what he said! You'll get more speed writing to a non system drive, it'll probably be cheaper than what you'd pay for the upgrade to the 7200 and your battery will last longer when you aren't chained to the wall.
:D

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Yeah, what he said! You'll get more speed writing to a non system drive, it'll probably be cheaper than what you'd pay for the upgrade to the 7200 and your battery will last longer when you aren't chained to the wall.

Unless he gets an eSATA card he will not have better performance than his internal drive. It is a 1.5 mbps SATA, vs. max 800 mbps FW800. It doesn't really matter if the drive is 7200 rpm or not - the bottleneck is the external's controller.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
My only Q ... let's say I am too cheap and I go with the 250GB becuase it is $100+ cheaper ... how hard is it to swap to 320GB or even 500GB at a later date and have my OS installed since the darn OS now comes on the HD and not as a Stand-alone install DVD or CD!?!?

I replaced my MBP hard drive in about 20 minutes. Not hard, you just have to take your time. Keep the screws in an ice tray for each step of the process and follow the video from MacSales.com to do it.

Cloning the drive is easy, too, provided you have an external enclosure or a Universal Drive Adapter. Just download Carbon Copy Cloner (free) and it will make a bootable clone of your current drive onto the new one.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

I'd get the internal drive, but that's me; I carry my iTunes library around; don't want to plug a drive in everytime I want to listen to some tunes.

gonwk

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
Hi folks,

@ Cave Man - when is your B'Day ... I am going to get you a present for all the HELP you have been giving us (ME) ... THANKS A BUNCH for all of you r help & specifically for the TIP on how to change out my HD.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Unless he gets an eSATA card he will not have better performance than his internal drive. It is a 1.5 mbps SATA, vs. max 800 mbps FW800. It doesn't really matter if the drive is 7200 rpm or not - the bottleneck is the external's controller.

Yeah, i don't have the latest rendering times with the 7200 rpm internal drives but usually for video/3d you go with an external drive. Same for protools but he didn't mention that. I guess it depends how serious he is about video/3d etc.
If he's not that serious he may want to check out the top of the line macbook.
almost the same processor right? It also depends how much jing he wants to spend, my last 10 or so macs have been refurbs, very nice way to go imo.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
I'd get the internal drive, but that's me; I carry my iTunes library around; don't want to plug a drive in everytime I want to listen to some tunes.

Well when he mentioned video editing/3d my inclination was to go with the external drive. Best of both worlds go big 5400 and if that doesn't handle his needs get an external drive. Yeah if he's got a big music/video collection he'll want the big drive. I don't keep alot of movies on my internal HD but that's me. With the 8 gig dvds being as cheap as they are, I just offloaded some movies onto a couple of those and load them back on the drive if I get the urge to watch a movie I have it with me.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
If he's not that serious he may want to check out the top of the line macbook.
almost the same processor right? It also depends how much jing he wants to spend, my last 10 or so macs have been refurbs, very nice way to go imo.

I agree. For video or photo work, I'd buy the middle MacBook and with the savings off a MBP, pick up the Samsung 500 gig internal drive ($300), a 24" external display ($350), and bluetooth keyboard and mouse ($100). Alternatively, instead of the bigger internal, buy a 1 TB firewire drive. Editing video on a laptop can be challenging because of the small screen size.

Of course, if he's planning on using Motion or Color, then gotta go with a MBP.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
I agree. For video or photo work, I'd buy the middle MacBook and with the savings off a MBP, pick up the Samsung 500 gig internal drive ($300), a 24" external display ($350), and bluetooth keyboard and mouse ($100). Alternatively, instead of the bigger internal, buy a 1 TB firewire drive. Editing video on a laptop can be challenging because of the small screen size.

Of course, if he's planning on using Motion or Color, then gotta go with a MBP.

Since you're on the subect...I haven't yet loaded final cut onto my macbook just use the G5,( I haven't done much video lately) but how is final cut on a macbook? Kinda on topic..which esata card do you recommend?
Anyhow, this guys has lots of opinions and options!:D
Peace

beck

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2006
I just upgraded my hard drive today to 7200 and i can noitce a nice speed bump. I've always felt my mbp is a touch slugish, this has helped it along, worth it imo

this is what i got this: http://www.span.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=16013

Its probably quieter than the stock hard drive. I don't do many demanding things with my computer either but still feel it was worth it for the snappyness

wrongrobot

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2007
San Francisco
I found it difficult NOT to put the 7200 RPM drive into the MBP. Why compromise performance, even modestly, on the drive that houses your OS?

GotPro

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2007
I just upgraded my hard drive today to 7200 and i can noitce a nice speed bump. I've always felt my mbp is a touch slugish, this has helped it along, worth it imo

this is what i got this: http://www.span.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=16013

Its probably quieter than the stock hard drive. I don't do many demanding things with my computer either but still feel it was worth it for the snappyness

A 7200 RPM drive will most definitely make the computer "snappier".

The problem that some on here have is they are apparently comparing today's 5400 RPM drives to yesterday's 7200 RPM drives.

Doesn't work.

A much denser "current" 5400 RPM drive will seem faster than an older 7200 RPM drive that has been bogged down with an installed OS that is a few years old now.

However, if these same people had replaced their "old" 7200 RPM drive with a 5400 RPM drive from the same ERA or generation of drives, there would be no speed increase.

When considering a 7200 vs 5400 RPM drive, it must always be within the context of same-generation drives.

I was chided earlier for comparing a 7200 RPM new generation drive to older 5400 RPM drives... however my point was just that... that it's fools gold to do so. And to further illustrate that point... I simply pointed out that a CURRENT 7200 RPM drive would make an older 5400 RPM drive look like a bad monkey doing a math problem... which, although not said, but inferred... meant that you can't compare generational drives. If you are going to replace your drive with newer technology, then compare only drives of that generation.

7200 RPM drives will ALWAYS be a better choice for a boot drive than a 5400 RPM drive... IF the goal is to have a snappy, speedy boot OS drive.

Obviously, everyone's goals are not the same. If space is the ultimate deciding factor for you, then a larger 5400 RPM drive is the wise choice.

Me, personally?

I'd rather have a current, fast 7200 RPM 200 Gig Boot Drive (as I do) and for storage, maybe connect a 2 TB Raid 0 Lacie drive through FW800 if I needed a ton of space! ;-)

WorldIRC

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2005
How many platters in your 500 gig? Has to be at least 3 since saturation seems to be about 170 gigs per platter on a 2.5" drive.

5 platters..12.5mm.. Only fits in MBP 17" but b/c that's what I have, I was able to get it instead of waiting for the samsung!

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
7k320... Faster And More Friendly...

You (and others) may wanna check this one out... the Standard Hitachi 7k200 is being Upgraded soon!! WAY More space and Less Power usage... seems too perfect!! Should be out soon... I hope.. :D

Hitachi Global Storage Technologies today is set to unveil a 320GB mobile computer hard disk drive that offers 60% more capacity and requires some 25% less power than its year-old predecessor.

The new 2.5-in. Travelstar 7K320, which spins at speeds of up to 7,200 rpm, is available in models with capacities ranging from 80GB to 320GB. The device can run applications 12% faster than the Travelstar 7200 model it is replacing, said Larry Sweezey, director of consumer and commercial hard disk drives at the San Jose-based subsidiary of Hitachi Ltd.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
You (and others) may wanna check this one out... the Standard Hitachi 7k200 is being Upgraded soon!! WAY More space and Less Power usage... seems too perfect!! Should be out soon... I hope.. :D

The device can run applications 12% faster than the Travelstar 7200 model it is replacing

There you go. Higher platter density in action! Let's see how the Samsung 500 does when its available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.