Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
A few years ago now I found Anker for aftermarket laptop batteries and everything was happiness and light.
(I had tried NuPower a short time before that but they went the quality direction of the Chinese bootlegs. ie. Avoid at all costs!)

Went to order one today...
Out of stock.
No ETA.
Other models still in stock now have 12 month warranties instead of 18.

Well crap, those are all the signs of going out of business!

Anyone know of a new trusted source for aftermarket Macbook Pro batteries? (Any and all models)

serr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Today it was a late 2008 15". Found a new Apple OEM on ebay for that need a while ago. (Apparently someone's machine died before they could start using it they said.)

Anyway, I'm looking for a professional quality (like stock Apple and like Anker were) aftermarket option for the Apple laptops in general.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Today it was a late 2008 15". Found a new Apple OEM on ebay for that need a while ago. (Apparently someone's machine died before they could start using it they said.)

Anyway, I'm looking for a professional quality (like stock Apple and like Anker were) aftermarket option for the Apple laptops in general.

Does Apple ever hand over just the battery? I didn't think they did, and if that's the case than the 'OEM' one you mention would have been counterfeit.

These days I just can't trust anything that's not from source http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38167551

serr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Does Apple ever hand over just the battery? I didn't think they did, and if that's the case than the 'OEM' one you mention would have been counterfeit.

These days I just can't trust anything that's not from source http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38167551
"Hand over"?
Just as soon as you hand over the $140 they do just that. Retail sales and all.

If my ebay purchase turns out to be a counterfeit, that's what Paypal's return policy is for.
My spidey sense says I haven't fallen for a bait & switch to waste my time with that, however.

Anyway...

Asking about a 3rd party company who, like Anker used to, makes professional quality batteries and sells them in the expected $60 - $80 range.

Wanting to avoid crappy products that might not be obviously crappy at first glance. Like NuPower.

The $20 offerings are obviously crappy fire hazards. No confusion there.

Anyone?

I mean, it can't be that Apple are the only ones who know how to make a battery right?

Thought I had my guys with Anker there for a minute. Gosh darnit!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
"Hand over"?
Just as soon as you hand over the $140 they do just that. Retail sales and all.

If my ebay purchase turns out to be a counterfeit, that's what Paypal's return policy is for.
My spidey sense says I haven't fallen for a bait & switch to waste my time with that, however.

Anyway...

Asking about a 3rd party company who, like Anker used to, makes professional quality batteries and sells them in the expected $60 - $80 range.

Wanting to avoid crappy products that might not be obviously crappy at first glance. Like NuPower.

The $20 offerings are obviously crappy fire hazards. No confusion there.

Anyone?

I mean, it can't be that Apple are the only ones who know how to make a battery right?

Thought I had my guys with Anker there for a minute. Gosh darnit!

Your problem is just pure age of the machine at 9 years old there is little demand so no incentive for anyone to continue making batteries for a 2008 laptop. That's technology I'm afraid.

serr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Your problem is just pure age of the machine at 9 years old there is little demand so no incentive for anyone to continue making batteries for a 2008 laptop. That's technology I'm afraid.
Except I see batteries made for models back to 2000. For Macs anyway.

Anyone have a manufacturer they can recommend?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Except I see batteries made for models back to 2000. For Macs anyway.

Anyone have a manufacturer they can recommend?

Yes and they are very old and rarely hold a charge very well. You will see a lot of threads on here about terrible batteries for this very reason, and of course because people buy cheap rubbish off eBay expecting the same as what Apple uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.