Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgr555

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
^-- lol

received the Speck smart shell today.
very well made, very impressed with how the edges line up and are cut perfectly.

however,I find it very hard to remove the top piece though once put on (I had to, since some of the edges had plastic debris in between the case once installed).

It was harder than I thought to install too, seems very tight. best way is to lay it flat and closed, and just press the edges down start from the bottom clips then upwards.

all in all its a perfect case imo in terms of quality and keeping the aesthetics

Serghy

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
Hey guys

I'm considering as well what to buy to protect my rMBP

just out of curiosity did anybody try to combine a Speck cover with a clean film like wrapsol, does it fit?

thanks

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
Is it just me or every third post is about the speck case? Enough with the speck. I went to BB and looked at it. its nothing special, just a snap on case.
something must be up with the repeated post just for speck cases.

{EDIT} Darn I just did it too.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Is it just me or every three post are about the speck case? Enough with the speck. I went to BB and looked at it. its nothing special, just a snap on case.
something must be up with the repeated post just for speck cases.

It's getting a lot of mention lately because it just came out. Also, the case you saw was not for the rMBP since it's not sold at BB, but probably a similar speck case for another macbook.

Not sure what you mean by "something must be up", again it's probably because it's new.

----------

Hey guys

I'm considering as well what to buy to protect my rMBP

just out of curiosity did anybody try to combine a Speck cover with a clean film like wrapsol, does it fit?

thanks

Yeah, about 5 posts before yours. :p

Love it since dust can't get in and scratch the rMBP. On MBA dust would scratch the computer with speck hard case. Wrapsol skin is thin enough to not affect fitment. I am able to snap case on with no issues:D

Serghy

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
It is just the only solution in case you want an hard case

Incase still hasn't realized anything

there is the HardCandy one, but I'm not that sure of the "wrapping" solution that they came up with

PackFan

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Anyone seen these from Worldshopping via Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008UNBWJW/ref=gno_cart_title_1

31puhwjD6%2BL._SS400_.jpg

pikkashoe

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Anyone know if the speck shell will fit over the icarbons wrap.
I really want to get the clear one and i love the look of the icarbon carbon fiber wrap, but its just not enough protection.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Don't those vents at the bottom increase the risk of particulate matter getting in and scratching?

I would think so as well. IMO they really don't serve a purpose as I don't think the cut outs are going to keep the rMBP any cooler. That's why I like the Speck... The only vent cut outs are where the vents are. Also, I have not noticed any increase in temps with the case on as opposed to it being nekkid. Don't get me wrong the Kuzy is a nice attempt and if it were closer to the Speck in quality and lose the cutouts, I would have gone that route.

lordjonny

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
I would think so as well. IMO they really don't serve a purpose as I don't think the cut outs are going to keep the rMBP any cooler. That's why I like the Speck... The only vent cut outs are where the vents are. Also, I have not noticed any increase in temps with the case on as opposed to it being nekkid. Don't get me wrong the Kuzy is a nice attempt and if it were closer to the Speck in quality and lose the cutouts, I would have gone that route.

Aluminum is a good heat conductor; plastic most definitely is not. In other words, the aluminum case itself helps cool the computer, but when you cover up the aluminum with plastic, it's like throwing a thin blanket on it since the heat the aluminum case normally transfers to the air can't go anywhere.

I'd rather have the Kuzy case's vents than none at all.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Aluminum is a good heat conductor; plastic most definitely is not. In other words, the aluminum case itself helps cool the computer, but when you cover up the aluminum with plastic, it's like throwing a thin blanket on it since the heat the aluminum case normally transfers to the air can't go anywhere.

That sounded really scientificky, but the truth is there is no noticeable difference in heat with the Speck case on or off.

rgr555

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012

yea go ahead get the kuzy lol

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
I read so many comments on heat problem concerns. Is the cooling fan that bad? I think for the normal user heat is not an issue. My macbook has been solid an very cool, what are you guys doing to get These machines to burn up?
I just want to post this positive fact to people new to the macbook so they don't go out an buy a nitrogen cooling system while browsing the web or sending emails.

Last edited:

cooa99

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
speck smartshell case for Retina display macbook pro

I am interested in one of this so here are my questions for those who are aware of/have theses cases

1) which is better ? satin black or the glossy transparent one?.
Pictures link of these two would be ideal if possible please. The speck website pictures
2) recommendations for good 'transparent' skins to cover the macbook pro ..... I am in the UK

cheers

cooa99

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I am interested in one of this so here are my questions for those who are aware of/have theses cases

1) which is better ? satin black or the glossy transparent one?.
Pictures link of these two would be ideal if possible please. The speck website pictures
2) recommendations for good 'transparent' skins to cover the macbook pro ..... I am in the UK

cheers

cooa99

I don't think there is a "better" since it's personal preference. I currently have both the Clear and Satin Black, and currently prefer the Satin. The satin has a rubberized feel and hides scratches better. The clear allows you to see rMBP, but scratches easier. Personally, I am hoping they release the Satin Clear/Frosted before my 30 day return period runs out on the Satin Black.

cooa99

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
I don't think there is a "better" since it's personal preference. I currently have both the Clear and Satin Black, and currently prefer the Satin. The satin has a rubberized feel and hides scratches better. The clear allows you to see rMBP, but scratches easier. Personally, I am hoping they release the Satin Clear/Frosted before my 30 day return period runs out on the Satin Black.

cheers,

what is ur opinion regarding previous comments that the hardcases could also cause scratches on the rMBP ?

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
cheers,

what is ur opinion regarding previous comments that the hardcases could also cause scratches on the rMBP ?

I agree that it's possible under the right (er, I guess wrong) circumstances. However, IMO it's less likely to happen with the Speck case than it is with some of the Amazon/eBay generic cases. The reason being is that the generic cases have more (and IMO unnecessary) cut-outs that would allow more dust/debris to get under the case. Also, with my hard shell cases, before I apply them I make sure to wipe the underside with a micro-fiber cloth and in some cases use an air can to make sure to get rid of any dust/debris prior to installing the case. Once the case is installed it is less likely that dust/debris will get between the case and the macbook to cause the scratches.

Also, some people claim that the snap tabs on these types of cases also cause scratch marks on the macbook. This has not been my experience, but I do agree that it's possible. I don't usually remove/re-add my case that often, but when I do, I do so very slowly and carefully and have yet to see any marks on any of the macbooks I have had these types of cases on (Speck or otherwise).

cooa99

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
I agree that it's possible under the right (er, I guess wrong) circumstances. However, IMO it's less likely to happen with the Speck case than it is with some of the Amazon/eBay generic cases. The reason being is that the generic cases have more (and IMO unnecessary) cut-outs that would allow more dust/debris to get under the case. Also, with my hard shell cases, before I apply them I make sure to wipe the underside with a micro-fiber cloth and in some cases use an air can to make sure to get rid of any dust/debris prior to installing the case. Once the case is installed it is less likely that dust/debris will get between the case and the macbook to cause the scratches.

Also, some people claim that the snap tabs on these types of cases also cause scratch marks on the macbook. This has not been my experience, but I do agree that it's possible. I don't usually remove/re-add my case that often, but when I do, I do so very slowly and carefully and have yet to see any marks on any of the macbooks I have had these types of cases on (Speck or otherwise).

cheers for the reply ....

the satin black cases are not in stock :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.