Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kelsier93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Germany
Hi,

my MacBook Pro late 2012, 13" bought sep. 2014 has some strange problems.

It all startet when i was trying to wake it up after sleep mode. The screen stayed black and i had to reboot holding the on/off button.
These problems occurred more often and one day it didn't even start anymore. So i did some research and bought and installed a new SSD HD (Samsung 500 GB, before i had the 128 Apple SSD).

Setting up the OS went fine and no problems occurred. But since 2 weeks the problems are back. But slightly different:
Now i can't boot from recovery anymore (Prohibitory symbol), boot process for OSX 10.9 needs about 20 sec (3 sec when it was all new) and the black screen after sleep mode.

Today i deleted the SSD, formatted it and tried to install 10.9 and sierra again. Both failed after the reboot when you should be able to set up your Mac. I tried and failed to boot also in target mode. Recovery won't boot, too. (Prohibitory symbol again)
But i can start the Mac from my Time Machine and external HD. So when i run Disc Utility, it says the HD is fine.

Any suggestions what i could try, before going to the local reseller?

Thanks for your help,

Chris

kelsier93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Germany

Attachments

• IMG_4250.PNG
    IMG_4250.PNG
    867 KB · Views: 206

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It might be a failure of the internal SATA drive ribbon cable. This is common on the 2012 models. The faster speed of an SSD may actually worsen the problem.

I believe there is a FREE cable replacement upgrade available at Apple Stores.

If you have one anywhere close, it might be worth the trip to take it to them and let them check it out. Might solve all your problems right away.

Reactions: kelsier93

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If there is no apple store close to you, you can buy replacement cables from Amazon.

I got a cable from Amazon for a 2009 15" and 2010 13" MBP. Both cables brought the units back to life. It's only been about 2 months but I'm hoping to get a couple of more years from these MBPs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.