Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Portland, OR
I know, I know, another one of these threads...

This is Buying Advice though, right?

I ordered a Macbook Pro C2D yesterday through the ADC Store. I'm really excited about the new computer, but now I'm questioning whether it may be better to cancel and buy a refrubished model from the Apple store and save that ACD purchase for next year when a who-knows-what will be released?

(Frankly, I was a bit disappointed that there was no discernible case redesign. I know the speculation pointed to a processor upgrade only, but I still held out hope for a new hard drive cage, magnetic latch, et cetera.)

I ended up using the ADC discount on the base model 15.4" MBP and upgraded to the 160GB hard drive (with the perpindicular storage).

Looking at the refurbished section, I would save $100 by going for the 2.0 GHZ CD MBP.

I would be losing 60GB in hard drive space, the FW 800 port, and the processor upgrade but I would gain video RAM.

At that price, I could then use it for the next school year and unload it later (at a loss) and use the ADC discount for something perhaps a bit more worth while?

By the way, this is the student ADC membership, so I only get one discount purchase!

mini.boss

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2006
Heat issues seem to have been resolved. Its hard to say thats worth $500, but if youve ever used a 160degree MBP then you may be convinced to spend.

coal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Portland, OR
Well, to clarify, with the ADC discount, the C2D MBP is $1599 and the refurbished model I'm looking at is $1499.

I just don't know if it is THAT big of a upgrade to justify using my one discount on this machine. This would be considered Rev B though and that alone makes it attractive particularly for the reason you mentioned.

Though I did pay $99 for the membership, which cannot be ignored in the price, hopefully I will receive OS updates (meaning Leopard) included in the membership fee later in the spring. This would effectively make the membership fee a wash.

Still not closer to a resolution...

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Wouldn't be able to advise you on the C2D but I say the CD is a pretty good machine and I wouldn't think about upgrading it. But ultimately its up to you if you are considering a new machine sometime soon then perhaps go the CD or if you want to keep it for longer go the C2D? Hope that helped a little

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
South Australia, Australia
You get way better value though with the C2D now - more RAM, hard-drive etc - ppl had to pay for that before - so I think it's quite a significant value upgrade. On top of that it's a new revision - so that is a plus in increasing your chances for less issues.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
its weird that i hear that c2d are cooler. their hotter. at the same speed their cooler, but these are running faster and hotter. get a refurb model and you'll get a great computer at a great price. also if the heat gets to you search smcfancontrol on google.

ColdFlame87

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2004
Woodland Hills, CA
I would say go with the C2D if something that interest you is released you can still resell your computer for the same price you bought it for and only pay the difference to get the latest

coal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Portland, OR
Thanks for the replies!

I decided to stick with my order and keep the C2D. There really is no reason to save the discount for another purchase at a future date. I mean, I'll have already graduated from university by the time they come out with a newly designed MBP! (In other words, by next May.)

I'll enjoy this now and since it's right when they've been released, I'll maximize it's usage. Thanks again for your help, folks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.