Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Red_Bran_Porridge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2024
Hello all. I got one of the new M3 Pro MacBook Pros recently and less than a month after purchase, the bottom patch connecting the display to the main body seems to have detached itself. Unfortunately, this is after the two week refund period, but I did already pay for AppleCare in advance. I’ve booked a Genius Bar appointment in a few days at my local Apple Store already. I also tried contacting Apple support, but the agent just recommended making a booking and were unable to state whether I could get a replacement. They said I would have to ask in store.

I’ve treated the MacBook Pro very gently and there have been no incidents, or scuffs. I only used a clean, soft, lint-free cloth to wipe the screen. Apple’s page listing MacBook cleaning advice where I got this idea from is listed here: https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mac-help/mchlp2657/mac. I understand it says to dampen the cloth, but I decided against this.

If anyone has any advice, or could lend some insight as to whether a replacement is possible, it would be greatly appreciated.

I realise that I could also get a screen repair, but honestly, why would I want to have a device repaired when it’s not even a month old?

Attached is a side profile of the fault in question. The flat middle section should be attached to the screen on the right. Unfortunately, it is not.

Update:

Visit over. They were a bit surprised and had never seen this problem before. I got an entire refund for the MacBook Pro. I did not bring anything other than the charging cable per Genius Bar request. They still accepted it as the only thing necessary for the refund. That means I get to keep the original box, documentation, wall adapter, USB-C to MagSafe 3, and the nice Apple stickers.

The sales manager apparently did have to approve it, but they did so instantly. It really didn't take very much effort at all. Everyone was really nice and patient with me. I was offered a replacement, or a refund, and I chose the latter. 10/10 refund experience.

Attachments

• IMG_3285.jpeg
    IMG_3285.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Take it to the genius bar and see what they say/do.
Then let us know how you made out.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I expect a display replacement will sort that. You could probably convince them to replace the whole Mac with enough time & effort but unlikely in one visit. I’d expect engineering and/or customer relations departments to need to sign off on such an exchange.

Having dealt with Apple repairs in the past, personally I wouldn’t hesitate to accept a screen replacement. But you do you.

Red_Bran_Porridge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2024
I expect a display replacement will sort that. You could probably convince them to replace the whole Mac with enough time & effort but unlikely in one visit. I’d expect engineering and/or customer relations departments to need to sign off on such an exchange.

Having dealt with Apple repairs in the past, personally I wouldn’t hesitate to accept a screen replacement. But you do you.
Alright. I’ll at least try to get a screen replacement.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Why are you against just getting the screen replaced? One defective part does not mean the whole computer is defective. If you know the computer is working fine then you are actually taking more of a gamble (not much with Apple computers) in getting a dud or a computer with something else wrong.

Red_Bran_Porridge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2024
Why are you against just getting the screen replaced? One defective part does not mean the whole computer is defective. If you know the computer is working fine then you are actually taking more of a gamble (not much with Apple computers) in getting a dud or a computer with something else wrong.
That’s a good point. I’ve never had a device repaired before because of a fault, so this is a bit of a new experience for me. Thanks for the insight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.