Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fake.user.user3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
Hi all.
I use a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.7.5 for work and relax.
I would like to update to an higher version of the OS, because a lot of software and updates require it.
Which version of OSX should I update to with this hardware:

MacBook pro, early 2011,
Processor: 2,3 Ghz Intel Core i5
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Video: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
?

I obviously will upgrade only if it to run smoothly ;)

Thanks

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you want to use either El Capitan or Sierra, I suggest you put an SSD into it, and bump up the RAM to 8gb...

fake.user.user3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
If you want to use either El Capitan or Sierra, I suggest you put an SSD into it, and bump up the RAM to 8gb...
I would recommend and SSD before RAM.
Thanks for your responses.
Have you any experience with Mountain Lion and Mavericks? They will probably suffice. If I could install one these and avoid to update the hardware it would be better...

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Thanks for your responses.
Have you any experience with Mountain Lion and Mavericks? They will probably suffice. If I could install one these and avoid to update the hardware it would be better...
I had Mountain Lion on a late 2011 MBP with 4 Gb RAM & the stock 5400 RPM spinner and it was fine. I also moved on to Mavericks on the same MBP, but felt performance was lagging so I increased the Ram & added a SSD and it worked great. Like previously suggested by satinsilverem2, I got the biggest performance boost from the SSD.

fake.user.user3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
I had Mountain Lion on a late 2011 MBP with 4 Gb RAM & the stock 5400 RPM spinner and it was fine. I also moved on to Mavericks on the same MBP, but felt performance was lagging so I increased the Ram & added a SSD and it worked great. Like previously suggested by satinsilverem2, I got the biggest performance boost from the SSD.
Ok, I understand. I will opt for mountain lion then, at least for now.
Thank you all for the info and the help guys.

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.