Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frenchtulip36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2017
Australia
Hi there

I'm looking to buy a Macbook Pro, and need to run photo and video editing software (namely Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro and After Effects) on it.

Due to budget, I've been thinking of purchasing a refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro (2.0GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 with Retina Display) - i.e. the previous generation of Macbook Pro before the new touch bar.

Does anyone have any experience of running these programs on the older generation Macbook Pro? Does it work ok? I noticed that 16GB of RAM is recommended to run premiere pro, but the Macbook Pros only have 8GB. Has this caused any issues?

Premiere pro requirements:

• Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
    • macOS X v10.11, v10.12 or v10.13
    • 8 GB of RAM (16 GB or more recommended)
    • 8 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices)
    • 1280x800 display (1920x1080 or larger recommended)
    • Sound card compatible with Apple Core Audio
    • Optional: Adobe-recommended GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance
    • Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.*
Macbook pro specs:
Would really appreciate any guidance, experiences or links to other threads that you can share. Thanks.

xbankaiz

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2015
DE
The 13" would simply be too weak for running the Adobe suite properly due to the RAM and graphics. If possible, try to find deals on the 15", although I would stay away from any of the 2016 models. Instead if you can find a used 2015 rMBP 15" with maxed out specs on eBay, I would suggest you get that. If not, wait a bit and see if there are any good deals on the 2017 15" models in the coming months.

frenchtulip36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2017
Australia
Thanks so much! I ended up getting the 13, but reached the same conclusion. I had to render all clips to even get playback without lag on a project of only around 6 mins length, and rendering time was slower than ideal. I've decided to upgrade to refurbished 15.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.