Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Hey, the Zephyrus Duo was meaningful innovation from a company that has enough different lines that having one more model that is different simply provides options, and interesting options at that!

No it was a tasteless experiment made for people who wanted a fantasy cyberdeck so that people think they were 1337 hackers. Actual 1337 hackers tend to have a rotten old thinkpad or something. With a proper keyboard!

It would not hurt Apple to add some of those options as added models, while keeping the current ones. They do that with other products - HomePod anyone? The MacBooks don't get that treatment. In fact, the numbers of differing models have declined. No 12" MacBook, for example.

The bright colors of the translucent IMacs have been reduced to barely different pastels. The MBA line is the closest Apple gets to consumer or student laptops. There is a real need to expand back into non-business markets.

With regard to the MacBooks themselves, the notch really should be replaced by an under-display camera, users should have at least the option for a touch-screen, and the current ladder for ram and storage should , at the very least, be updated into the 2020's - the system ram is on the chip, for heavens' sake. Does it cost Apple or TSMC one mil more to make a processor with 16GB or 24GB than it does to make one with 8GB?

Look at the picture again. That touchpad can be turned into a numeric keypad with a simple software switch. It does have some lighting that is not in the MacBook to make that work, but a model with that could be a separate model with a higher cost.

Personally, I would like to bring back the logo too, but that's just cosmetics, although I do like space black.

1. Under display camera means thicker lid.
2. Touch screen - hell no. I have a touch screen Dell. Use one for a couple of hours. Dead arms ensue. iPad is bad enough.
3. 8GB is enough for most users. Hell I'm a power user and my main desktop is a bottom end M2 mini (I have a whole thread on this)
4. The touch numeric keypad gimmick is no good for numeric entry. I'm a mathematician. We need physical keys or you make touch errors almost all the time.
5. Sod the logo. I don't need an advert in my face. I know what I bought and don't care if other people do or don't, unless they're going to try and nick it off me.

Reactions: JustAnExpat

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Well said, Apple found a design that works and they’ve stuck on it. Every year they refine it and it gets just a bit better, it works exceptionally well already. I do think they need to get rid of the notch or do something with it that utilizes all of it - otherwise it’s a bit unnecessary but I do think they have something planned for it if they initially designed it like that.
The notch is just a plain bad signature to identify as an apple product. I have seen Pc laptops with even thinner bezels with a webcam and no notch. It's just to rub it in that apple does it their way and you will like it, just like their wall garden of limitations!

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
The notch is just a plain bad signature to identify as an apple product.

That's my takeaway also

On iPhone, their most important product, the notch is apparently unavoidable so Apple decided to start "branding" all their products that have screens with the distinctive notch shape -- whether anyone wants or likes it ... or not..

Apple is totally out of "actually good ideas"
It's so galling

They need a leadership shakeup, badly

Reactions: Ipadfever

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
The notch is just a plain bad signature to identify as an apple product. I have seen Pc laptops with even thinner bezels with a webcam and no notch. It's just to rub it in that apple does it their way and you will like it, just like their wall garden of limitations!

I have a pretty high end Dell laptop here with a really thin bezel. But nothing on the machine works properly and it rattles when you are typing (no joke).

YMMV as they say. But concentrating on a thin bezel, I'd rather have a laptop that works properly.

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
If they could a touch nipple in the middle of the keyboard, preferably the same shape as the main navigation button for blackberry curves. I'd like that.

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
I have a pretty high end Dell laptop here with a really thin bezel. But nothing on the machine works properly and it rattles when you are typing (no joke).

YMMV as they say. But concentrating on a thin bezel, I'd rather have a laptop that works properly.
The webcam lens is not big enough to require a notch and it doesn't have Face ID. The only function it has is to display our ugly mugs for others viewing pleasures.

lukas.j

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2022
The webcam lens is not big enough to require a notch
FCEumgGXMAQPUok

There is more up there than just a camera lens:

– Camera
– Ambient light sensor
– TrueTone sensor

Reactions: ignatius345

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Ive probably wasted more time on Mac than on Windows... I find Windows a much more productivity friendly device.
What?
Why is it more productivity friendly? As soon as Rectangle or similar is added to macOS for window management I think macOS is the more productive one. For example that the app switcher don’t list every single window – when there many windows open it makes it difficult to navigate between every open window to find the one wanted instead of just switching to the app.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Spoons are boring. Sheffield should make them bend or fold or something. The designs haven’t changed in 3000 years. Innovation in cutlery is dead.

Not something you’d ever hear anybody say, yet here we are. The reason we don’t hear anyone question innovations in cutlery, wheels, bricks or nails is because these are apex designs. You can make them out of different materials but their function remains the same.

Laptops and phones operate in the same space. Innovation isn’t dead; it’s just they arrived on a comfortable form rather quickly and don’t need to make it better. The MacBook and indeed all laptops haven’t really changed their basic design in 30 years. The original iPhone nailed it first go.

Living in an age of constant technological innovation has led to the expectation that there must always be something new and this is not true. Laptops and phones are fine as they are. A folding spoon is still a spoon.

But hardware is a shell. Your ire should be aimed at software instead….

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
I'm working on my m3 now.. with no complaints.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 10.08.52 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 10.08.52 AM.png
    160.5 KB · Views: 15

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Currently the MacBook Pro 14" fullfil my needs in a stylish way. Yes, there are laptops with higher specs or more functions and there are few things Apple could bring to notebooks like Face ID. Touch ID is fast and responsive but my Wife's Asus has face recognition (doesn't work all the time though). Apple did create a "Notch" on notebooks so, they do have enough space to accommodate Face ID like in an iPhone. But, it's not a necessary feature.

Touch Screen on my Macbook?... No thanks! Smudges on a Phones and iPads is easy to clean. But on a Notebook, that's something you don't do so often and need to be careful.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I bought a M3 Pro MacBook Pro 16" last year but within using it for about 15 minutes, I felt asleep.

• Haha
Reactions: dizmonk

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Hey, the Zephyrus Duo was meaningful innovation from a company that has enough different lines that having one more model that is different simply provides options, and interesting options at that!
No/minimal tactile feedback when typing is a no-go for a lot of laptop users who might otherwise look at that ASUS laptop. There is also a huge difference between innovating to improve the status quo versus innovating for the sake of change. That ASUS laptop falls squarely into the latter category.

It would not hurt Apple to add some of those options as added models, while keeping the current ones. They do that with other products - HomePod anyone? The MacBooks don't get that treatment. In fact, the numbers of differing models have declined. No 12" MacBook, for example.

There's only two versions of the HomePod - HomePod and HomePod Mini. Of those, only the Mini comes in more than two colorways. There would also be a massive cost to Apple in terms of having to have separate toolings for different cases if they were to adopt some of the "options" you and others keep touting.

The bright colors of the translucent IMacs have been reduced to barely different pastels. The MBA line is the closest Apple gets to consumer or student laptops. There is a real need to expand back into non-business markets.

iPhone, iPad, HomePod, AppleTV, iMac, Mac Mini already target non-business markets. Not sure how much room for expansion there would even be.

With regard to the MacBooks themselves, the notch really should be replaced by an under-display camera, users should have at least the option for a touch-screen, and the current ladder for ram and storage should , at the very least, be updated into the 2020's - the system ram is on the chip, for heavens' sake. Does it cost Apple or TSMC one mil more to make a processor with 16GB or 24GB than it does to make one with 8GB?

As others have pointed out, there is currently no way to add FaceID to a Mac without increasing the thickness of the display. Touchscreens suck for a desktop OS, which is what so many people are overlooking in this thread. Microsoft screw themselves over in this regard when they released Windows 8 and attempted to create a touch-first UI in a keyboard/mouse world. Then as PC manufacturers started adopting touchscreens, Microsoft went the other way and kept Windows 10 (and now 11) as traditional UI interfaces. If I want a touchscreen experience, I have my iPad Pro and my iPhone. But when I'm using either my Mac or my Gaming PC, a touchscreen is useless.

For most computer users (i.e, those NOT on sites like this one or a PC equivalent), 8GB of RAM is still more then enough memory for their usage patterns (email, web browsing, streaming video). The RAM is not in the actual processor itself, but on the die that houses the processor, which is why Mx variants are referred to as SoCs rather than CPUs. It does cost more to add RAM to any system because you are then either a) increasing the density of the RAM chips used, or b) adding additional RAM onto the die.

Look at the picture again. That touchpad can be turned into a numeric keypad with a simple software switch. It does have some lighting that is not in the MacBook to make that work, but a model with that could be a separate model with a higher cost.

Personally, I would like to bring back the logo too, but that's just cosmetics, although I do like space black.,

Again, Apple would need to design, build, and pay for a completely separate tooling for a case which would support those changes. The logic board would also likely need to be changed in order to supply both power and signal to any such touch panels.

Reactions: jlc1978

anakin44011

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Not sure about boring, but ugly and heavy springs to mind. Certainly the 16" anyways. It weighs as much a small car. Probably.

And don't get me started on grotesque notches and Space Black replacing gray 🤬
My PowerBook in grad school (circa 2000) weighed 8 pounds.

And I loved the damn thing. I thought I had a portable Mission Control.

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2016
The innovation is the fact that you can buy a blisteringly fast MacBook that generates very little heat with true all-day battery life. That wasn't really possible 5 years ago. You have the luxury of being "bored" because MacBooks have become so incredibly capable that you don't have think about how hot your laptop is or where you're going to sit so you can make sure it's plugged in.

I'm glad Apple has mostly held the line against design gimmicks, myself. They don't age well. Besides, the gaming world is full of crap like this if you really want it.
Sure.. FINE... Roger! Would Steve Jobs be happy of the MacBook today? I think I can safely say the answer would be NO. Apple stuff always ALWAYS looked different. Does it now? Does the iPhone? Nope... There has been a gaping hole in design, and maybe that's because of Ives leaving and or Cooks leadership, but apple stuff is tired.

X-

• Wow
Reactions: ignatius345

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
Sure.. FINE... Roger! Would Steve Jobs be happy of the MacBook today? I think I can safely say the answer would be NO. Apple stuff always ALWAYS looked different. Does it now? Does the iPhone? Nope... There has been a gaping hole in design, and maybe that's because of Ives leaving and or Cooks leadership, but apple stuff is tired.

X-
I don't know whether it's tired or not and honestly don't care. It's funny to me when I go to the cafe to work and everyone is looking around for an outlet to plug into. I just sit wherever take out the M3 and do what I need to get done. I don't need something nice to look at. I need something that works reliably.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

X-

Steve Jobs is dead. Not sure it matters what he would think.

Absolutely dumbfounded that anyone would think that the tech marvel that is the M3 MacBooks could be considered “boring”.

Sure, FaceID would be nice, but otherwise not sure what I would want to do that my MacBook would be incapable of doing.

What is the “gaping hole” in the design? I honestly don’t get the whinging. I’m not a fan of Tim Cook, per se, but all Ive’s design got us was thinner and thinner. #meh

Last edited:
Reactions: Arctic Moose

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I much rather have my MacBook Pro that just works when and where I need it to. Since we have the option to work wherever we want to, I am very happy that my MacBook Pro does not need to be in close proximity to an ac outlet.... and will work on battery for as long as I want it to, be it I decide to actually do a full day of work or only put the minimum into the work day being on salary I can. I am usually in my office for all of 3 hours a week, and either spend whatever time I decided to actually be working from wherever I want to be, be it a Dunkin donuts, Starbucks, McDonalds, laying on the couch with my dog with a tv show on or on my back deck if it is nice outside, and not worry about power or the stability of the operating system at all, unlike the people STILL using windows operating system do.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Would Steve Jobs be happy of the MacBook today? I think I can safely say the answer would be NO. Apple stuff always ALWAYS looked different. Does it now? Does the iPhone?

Steve never changed anything for the sake of change.

I very much doubt you can safely say anything about what Steve would be unhappy about.

The MacBook is a mature product that doesn’t need to change radically every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: dizmonk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.