Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Hello

I'm having a problem with high CPU usage whenever a program is using video, e.g. Skype, facetime, youtube etc

The cpu usage jumps up to around 80% for the program that is using the video. This causes my fans to go crazy, and its not got to the point where i can no longer use Skype video calling as the other person can't hear my over my fan noise.

It's got worse and worse over the past 6 months.

When i first bought the laptop I didn't have any issues like this, it was perfect. Could it be a problem with the laptop or is it just that video has now become too much for my laptop to handle?

I currently have:

Macbook Pro 15" Mid-2009
2.8Ghz intel core 2 duo
8Gb RAM
750Gb hybrid drive

Would a new model macbook pro solve this problem, or would i still have the same issue? I was thinking about going for a macbook air

Any help would be grateful as I was trying to put off buying a replacement until at least November

Thanks in advance

Andrew

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
It can be your fan problem but I can see that your computer is bit old for new techs coming out.
Video, especially with skype is very CPU intensive.
My 2011 MBP doesnt do that, as it runs constantly at 2001rpm, but my old MacBook did.

As I watched HD 1080p/720p videos or did skype video chat, fans would rise pretty fast.

Its probably the computer that cant handle the intensive work.
Again it can be a fan problem seeing as its an 08 MBP.
But never owned that year model so I cant be 100% sure.

Hamid525

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Same here my fans run around 5000rpm when on skype at around 70 C it's horrible. Everything was fine until I upgraded from lion to ML :rolleyes:

Macbook Pro Mid 2010

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Same here my fans run around 5000rpm when on skype at around 70 C it's horrible. Everything was fine until I upgraded from lion to ML :rolleyes:

Macbook Pro Mid 2010

To both you and the OP:

It's because the more recent versions of Skype are notorious for being a huge, steaming pile of crap.

Uninstall the version you're using and downgrade to this one (last v2.8 release available):

http://www.oldapps.com/mac/skype.php?old_skype=37

... and when that's done, don't forget to disable the Skype option to update automatically, or else you'll be covered in Skype crap all over again.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
To both you and the OP:

It's because the more recent versions of Skype are notorious for being a huge, steaming pile of crap.

Uninstall the version you're using and downgrade to this one (last v2.8 release available):
I agree! Not to mention it will take up less screen space.
ScreenCap 2013-02-06 at Wed, Feb 6,5.02.41 PM .PNG

Hamid525

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
My problem with 2.8 is that the it doesn't let you skype with people using skype on their android or Iphone. You simply can not see them and if i remember right there was no screen sharing option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.