Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

findnemo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
I'm mostly new to OSX, and was wondering when my Macbook Pro is using 70% CPU when surfing Firefox, is that normal?

It's a 2giz duo core 2gb datamem ram.

I plan on running WoW on OSX and surfing the web at the same time.....will that my CPU spike to 100% then? I don't think this is normal.

findnemo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Something is wrong with my Macbook Pro.

After exiting Firefox and and exiting everything else.....I still idle at 50-55% doing nothing on destop. It never drops below 50%.

That's after I uninstalled all the crap widgets that I had.

Could it be bootcamp? I can't remember that far as to if it was like this stock.

I know my Macbook 2 core duo does not use that much cpu.

One more week clarkly! :)

Keirdre

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2007
Something is wrong with my Macbook Pro.

After exiting Firefox and and exiting everything else.....I still idle at 50-55% doing nothing on destop. It never drops below 50%.

That's after I uninstalled all the crap widgets that I had.

Could it be bootcamp? I can't remember that far as to if it was like this stock.

I know my Macbook 2 core duo does not use that much cpu.

Is everything closed? Is it like this right from boot up?

Are you exiting programs fully?

findnemo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
I'm not sure how to answer that, although I use apple-Q everytime.

On my activity monitor it says 50-59% useage "Green" by user, 41-50 "idle", and 2-8% system, none for "Nice"

Err....can I put in the disk I got with my Macbook pro and have it re-install everything like windows?

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
same problem

Actually I've got the same problem on my PowerBook G4 1Gb, even if I close every open tab and window it can still remain at 60-70% until I close Firefox completely and restart it.

memory leak anyone?

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
oh boy

I have a virus :) - Mac noob lol

You have a virus? Well good for you, arent many of those for OSX, you should consider it an honour :)

Mac noob? Oh boy, only been a member five mins and already got some <*insert profanity here*> trying to insult me. Seems to be the forum culture which I wont be engaging in.

Well n00bz are people too and you should have some respect. Just for your info buddy 'newbie' is something the site labels you as by default as a 'new member' and not necesarily new to computers.

findnemo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Err... I was refering to myself....as a joke....Mac's don't get virus's....I thought I had a virus....I'm a noob....get it?

I even refered to myself as a new to Mac's. I wasn't calling you a noob :confused:

I don't know anything about Mac's. I only use Firefox lol I don't use 99.8% of OSX applications. I reside in bootcamp all the time. I wasn't trying to insult you at all.

I'm just going to try to insert my orginial Pro disk and see if I can re-install OSX.....is that possible before I head to the basement to find the box?

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
sorry

Err... I was refering to myself....as a joke....Mac's don't get virus's....I thought I had a virus....I'm a noob....get it?

I even refered to myself as a new to Mac's. I wasn't calling you a noob :confused:

Ok, sorry dude, I read regularly through forums like these and mostly all I see is a bunch of americans insulting each other because of they have an opinion or they didnt know some minor fact about a subject.

I guess I just somehow expected it would be directed towards me.

my bad.:eek:

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I'm not sure how to answer that, although I use apple-Q everytime.

On my activity monitor it says 50-59% useage "Green" by user, 41-50 "idle", and 2-8% system, none for "Nice"

Err....can I put in the disk I got with my Macbook pro and have it re-install everything like windows?
did u find any process with high cpu load in activity monitor?

findnemo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Firefox uses 1-2% idle....and when I click on a link it goes up to 21%.

Something is eating my CPU usage. Could it be bad memory? I ran memtest and it passed everything while I ran it for 20 min.

findnemo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
FOUND IT!!!!!

I clicked on show all progress and it says "PrintJobMGR" is using 99% of the CPU!!!! :eek:

I can only think of the software I got from my MP500 that is causing the problems. Also it says it's a PowerPC task. I've got to figure how to get rid of it.

99% :eek: I knew something was wrong.

findnemo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Finally....back down to 3% idle when using Firefox.

Thank god, I was getting HORRIBLE battery life and it would get hot so fast.

I'm soooooo happy right now you guys don't even know. It's such a bother when you have 50% of your cpu gone. I guess it was using one core and I was using the other core.

Whooo I almost deleted my Windows drive. That would have been such a pain.

butaro

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
Canada
Ok, sorry dude, I read regularly through forums like these and mostly all I see is a bunch of americans insulting each other because of they have an opinion or they didnt know some minor fact about a subject.

I guess I just somehow expected it would be directed towards me.

my bad.:eek:

I've been a member of this board for a few months and it is far more friendlier than other online communities, there isn't much flaming or aggression here!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.