Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satans_banjo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
SE London
Hi

I've got a problem with my Macbook Pro (Intel Core Duo, 15"). Basically recently whenever I close the lid it doesn't go to sleep - it just keeps whirring. This is annoying because I have to bring this to school and therefore the battery isn't going to last anywhere near as long as it would if it could sleep

Any chance any of you could help?

Banjo

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
Hey, mine does this too, but intermittenly. Does yours do it all the time? I've already had my logic board replaced once (for something else) and I definitely don't like this phenomena either.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
I haven't heard of this being a widespread issue... have you ever installed software such as SleepLess? Even if its not enabled, it may be the cause of the issue. Make sure you're not running any background processes that interfere with sleep (first of all, quit all programs you're running before trying to sleep).

If none of those apply, call Apple.

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
anyone have a problem similar to this with the mac mini where you have your old computer keyboard and mouse with the ps/2 connectors? I have them hooked into a ps/2 to usb adapter and when the mac mini goes to sleep the mouse won't work when it wakes up....whats up with that??

Hobofuzz

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2006
This has happened to me twice. I always have it plugged into the wall whenever this happens though. I put it to sleep, go to bed, and when I wake up in the morning my Macbook Pro's fans are running at full speed and the case is really warm.

satans_banjo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
SE London
I restarted it and now it seems to be sleeping fine (albeit taking a while to go to sleep)

The thing I don't get is why it's doing this - I'm not closing it with a load of apps running - just dashboard and Quicksilver pretty much. Maybe it'll be fixed in the next update, or in Leopard. I'm not using SleepLess or anything, although I have got TheftSensor installed (and I'm trying to find out how to remove all of the files because it's getting really annoying)

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
It would sound like the machine is entering the clamshell mode and thinks it has a mouse keyboard monitor attached, do you use any bluetooth devices?

Just for a quick check, open terminal and run "kextstat" and check that there is no kext loaded that have insomnia in the name.

Boxer

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2006
Overland Park Kansas
That's weird. My first MBP 2.16 CD had this same issue. It actually started it right after the first logic board replacement. I then had it replaced two times after that, and it kept doing the same thing. It was very annoying. They finnally sent me a replacement MBP 2.33 C2D and it is 100% perfect.

capone2

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
chelsea-nyc
u know what..

my 17" mbp cd- has a hard-time waking up once it wouldnt come back and i ran to the apple store in a panic and the genius did a hardware and software diagnostic and told me the computer has no problem, so now ive started turning it off and treating more like a pc and its perfect.

brofski

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
in regards to the person posting about the mac mini

even with USB, the mouse will not wake the computer from sleep mode. however, pressing keys on the keyboard will. i believe this to be a feature since it's too easy to accidentally move the mouse. i love this feature actually. there have been countless times my mini has been a sleep and i'm working on other things on my desk and i accidentally move the mouse... and it won't wake it up... which is good because i'm not using it. when i was a windows user back in the day, my computer would always wake up when the mouse moved, even if just a millimeter. this annoyed me to no end.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
That's weird. My first MBP 2.16 CD had this same issue. It actually started it right after the first logic board replacement. I then had it replaced two times after that, and it kept doing the same thing. It was very annoying. They finnally sent me a replacement MBP 2.33 C2D and it is 100% perfect.

was your problem intermittent? mine is... already had the motherboard replaced once now... would love to finally fix this...

r.

phantasmagoria

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2006
UK
I've just had this problem and had the logic board and the bluetooth module replaced.

I think just the bluetooth module would have fixed the issue though, as it was losing power and then coming back again intermittently, and everytime it did either it would wake my MBP from sleep.

As it happened every few seconds it appeared that the MBP wasn't going to sleep in the first place, as it would wake within seconds when the power was lost/restored to the failing bluetooth module.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.