Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gwardys

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Having just received my macbook pro I put in a CD to copy some media from it and I was shocked to hear my machine make such a horrible noise.

Forgive me for asking, (this is my first slot loading drive) but is it normal for it to sound so horrible? To fully describe the sound is almost impossible. It sounds like it was eating the disk and trying to regurgitate it, both during the process of putting the disk in, and ejecting it.

I figured this might also be one disk, but every disk I have put in so far has done the same thing. The discs function fine, but the noise scares me.

Any help?

-Damien.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Gwardys said:
Having just received my macbook pro I put in a CD to copy some media from it and I was shocked to hear my machine make such a horrible noise.

Forgive me for asking, (this is my first slot loading drive) but is it normal for it to sound so horrible? To fully describe the sound is almost impossible. It sounds like it was eating the disk and trying to regurgitate it, both during the process of putting the disk in, and ejecting it.

I figured this might also be one disk, but every disk I have put in so far has done the same thing. The discs function fine, but the noise scares me.

Any help?

-Damien.

Yeah it's nothing to worry about. My PowerBook is the same. It's just the mechanics of the slot-drive.

You will get used to it.

Congratulations on the MacBook Pro.

Rich.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
Gwardys said:

Yeah, it sounds like it might need fixed. If you send it to me, I'll do it for free. Let me know and I'll email you an address you can send it to. :cool:

Gwardys

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
For future refrences, to any prospective buyers, I LOVE my Macbook Pro.
I was a little turned off by all the bitching about CPU whining, and uneven backlighting, but aside from the gurgling noise of the slot drive, my Macbook is amazing.

I'm a new Mac Switcher, and I love so many things about this computer. The iSight camera has good clarity for being so tiny, magsafe is a nifty feature and I could go on and on. In short don't listen to the ranting and raving negativally. I love mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.