Price Advice MacBook Pro Resale Value

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobbydd21, Nov 26, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Nov 26, 2012
    I was wondering around what I could get as a resale value for this Macbook Pro.

It is a 15 inch MacBook Pro (mid-2012) MD103ll/a. The specs are 2.3 GHZ Intel Core i7 Processor, and has been upgraded with 8GB of RAM and a 256GB Crucial M4 SSD. It was bought in August of 2012 and will come with the original box and all original accessories. Cosmetically, it is in perfect condition except a minor dent in the aluminum of the top right hand corner of the screen. Besides that there are no scratches or markings anywhere else and has been in a case. The battery has 100% health and the keyboard has always been protected with a keyboard cover, so they keys show no signs of wear.

I'm considering upgrading the MacBook Pro Retina and just wanted to know what I would be able to get out of this one.

2. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.
  3. macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2012
    After a quick estimate....

I would say $1800-$1900.00 tops, can be a good deal

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 26, 2012
    Oh okay I guess that sounds about right. I had sort of an estimate but I wasn't sure how much it would increase because of the SSD and decrease with the dent.
  5. macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2011
    With a mint condition, the top value is about 1600-1700. (If you are lucky enough to sell at that price, then do it immediately)

With the dent, that would probably decrease a lot, since the body exchange can cost quite a lot. I would say that is a $200 off the original value.

That SSD itself wouldn't add much value, especially come with the laptop.
    I would suggest sell the SSD separately to get more money back.
  6. macrumors member

Oct 26, 2012
    I'd say $1600 because of the dent. You have to realize that most people will buy Apple refurbs or use a student discount, so that should be accounted for. And in my experience, if they're not saving more than $200 off of refurb price they won't go for it. So subtract $200 from the refurb price to be more competitive.