Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoasterDirected

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2016
I've had my MBP retina 13 inch since mid 2014 and it was perfectly fine up until this Febuary. It started to crash while playing mildly intensive games and would extremely distort the video. It had red and black horizontal lines and if a sound was playing through the speakers when it crashed it would make really off sounds. Me and one of my other tech savvy friends believed it to be overheating, and for the most part that is still true. He told me to download smcFancontrok and that helped a bit. Computer would crash when it got around 125-130 F. Recently it's been getting more and more frequent, and crashing around 110 F. I use it for school and it crashes in the middle of class at least twice a day. I searched up the symptoms online and it seems to only happen to 15in and 17 in models, not 13 inch ones. It's also not covered by Apple. Could anyone help diagnose what the exact problem is with mine as well as give me an estimate of how much it will be to fix? I can't get it fixed till after next Friday because I have finals all next week.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I've had my MBP retina 13 inch since mid 2014 and it was perfectly fine up until this Febuary. It started to crash while playing mildly intensive games and would extremely distort the video. It had red and black horizontal lines and if a sound was playing through the speakers when it crashed it would make really off sounds. Me and one of my other tech savvy friends believed it to be overheating, and for the most part that is still true. He told me to download smcFancontrok and that helped a bit. Computer would crash when it got around 125-130 F. Recently it's been getting more and more frequent, and crashing around 110 F. I use it for school and it crashes in the middle of class at least twice a day. I searched up the symptoms online and it seems to only happen to 15in and 17 in models, not 13 inch ones. It's also not covered by Apple. Could anyone help diagnose what the exact problem is with mine as well as give me an estimate of how much it will be to fix? I can't get it fixed till after next Friday because I have finals all next week.

It's the iGPU by he sounds of it, they fail far less the dedicated GPU's but they can go, it'll be a new logic board to fix if that's the case so $700-800 if you are out of warranty.

CoasterDirected

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2016
It's the iGPU by he sounds of it, they fail far less the dedicated GPU's but they can go, it'll be a new logic board to fix if that's the case so $700-800 if you are out of warranty.
So it sounds like I'm gonna need a new MacBook... My warranty ended a month before the problem started

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
So it sounds like I'm gonna need a new MacBook... My warranty ended a month before the problem started

That's terrible to hear. I saw no mention of you trying to isolate the problem between software or hardware. What I mean is, have you tried to install a fresh copy of OS X to see if the problem persists?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

A depot repair at Apple will cost you much less than the $700-$800 that was mentioned. Even though it's out of warranty, bring it into an Apple store and get them to give you the pricing on a depot repair.
[doublepost=1463148378][/doublepost]
Apple will diagnose for free and my well fix it if you ask nicely and it's not long after the warranty end, its always worth a try.

I had similar issues on a much older MacBook Pro that was just out of warranty and they would not do anything about it other than the depot repair (which cost me money).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.