Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DSchwartz88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2006
How long untill apple releases a Rev B Pro with a better proccessor so it makes sense to buy a pro and not just a regular one?

Also what do we think the Rev B will have in it thats different?

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
I think the latch system in the Revision B will change in similar fashion to the macbook.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
jaydub said:
I'm pretty sure Rev B will have a flux capacitor on it.

The battery will also produce 1.21 gigawatts, and note its been rumored that for those of you travelers needing extra battery time, should your battery run out you can simply open the back and stuff it with trash for an additional 3 hours of run time.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
CaptainCaveMann said:
The battery will also produce 1.21 gigawatts, and note its been rumored that for those of you travelers needing extra battery time, should your battery run out you can simply open the back and stuff it with trash for an additional 3 hours of run time.

It will produce 1.21 gigawatts but Steve will pronounce it Jiggawatts in homage to the Doc.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
DSchwartz88 said:
How long untill apple releases a Rev B Pro with a better proccessor so it makes sense to buy a pro and not just a regular one?

Also what do we think the Rev B will have in it thats different?

A merom (64-bit) CPU

lilstewart said:
Right now I think we're on Rev. F.

I think the way revisions are defined has to be clearly stated. Apple came out saying that the MBP of various weeks (each week being a different revision) performed differently in regards to whine, heat issues whatever, but they still had all the same components, so not really new revisions (I'm guessing this is where you're getting your Rev F from). In the past a new revision had a substantial change in hardware. More recently, with silent upgrades and what not, apple's revision paradigm seems to be changing.
Going by the old school definition of a revision, the Rev B MBP will come out in Aug/Sept and will have a Merom processor in it.

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
I'm just curious...does it seem like the jump from Yonah MBP's to Merom MBP's would be rather quick if it occured in/around September? :confused: :eek: I know that the computer industry moves crazy fast, but...Wow!

I mean, the 17" MBP will have been out for like 3.5-4 months and it will get revised with a new processor and possibly a new latch, etc. already? :eek: I know that Intel will have Merom out by then, (forgive me for saying something that has been discussed before, I haven't kept up with the Merom threads) but don't you think it would be wise for Apple to milk the Yonah MBP/MB's until the PM series is replaced with Intel processors, thus completing the transformation from PPC to Intel? The MacPro desktops (or whatever they'll be called) would then be the first to sport 64-bit processors and the portables would then follow into the beginning of 2007.

This would put a Rev.B MBP at around December or January. It makes more sense to me...then again, I'm not SJ. Also, isn't that when OS X 10.5 is thought to be arriving? :eek: Again, sorry if I'm spouting off info that is clearly incorrect...I'm sincerely curious. Anyone have a reasonable explanation?

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
I thought intel recently stated that their server chips (Wood Crest) would come out first, then Conroe for desktops then Merom for laptops. So MacPros would be the first 64-bit intels with Wood Crest in them and potentially a higher iMac with a Conroe and then Merom for the MBP while the MB happily keep Yonah and all things fit into their nicely structured place.

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
neocell said:
I thought intel recently stated that their server chips (Wood Crest) would come out first, then Conroe for desktops then Merom for laptops. So MacPros would be the first 64-bit intels with Wood Crest in them and potentially a higher iMac with a Conroe and then Merom for the MBP while the MB happily keep Yonah and all things fit into their nicely structured place.

Hmm...Interesting. So that would put the portables getting their Rev.B processors last in the line-up? Can anyone confirm/deny this (at least to the extent that we rumor-addicts would know)? :p It seems to make more sense to me, but there are sooo many people screaming "Merom MBP" for August/Sept. :confused:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
iHeartTheApple said:
Hmm...Interesting. So that would put the portables getting their Rev.B processors last in the line-up? Can anyone confirm/deny this (at least to the extent that we rumor-addicts would know)? :p It seems to make more sense to me, but there are sooo many people screaming "Merom MBP" for August/Sept. :confused:

Here is a MacRumors article from last month outlining the Intel chip delivery schedule.

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
WildCowboy said:
Here is a MacRumors article from last month outlining the Intel chip delivery schedule.

Wild, thanks for the reference. I knew I had heard that somewhere. Unfortunately, that says nothing about what Apple will do once these processors are made available. Have there been any rumors from reputable sites/sources or even analysts' predictions regarding the proposed Apple timeline for the Woodcrest/Conroe/Merom?

Again, I apologize if this has already been discussed. :eek: I'm studying for my last final exam tomorrow morning and haven't gotten around to searching the forum in detail yet. :( Thanks for the info! :)

JurgenWigg

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Baltimore
I would think that Apple would have to update their computer lines fairly quickly as the processor releases progresses in order to stay competative with other manufacturers. Now that we're using the same chip as all them x86 boxes, we can't really afford to fall behind and be caught selling 'yesterday's' chip. As the chip upgrades go faster, Apple needs to implement them into their line faster. I believe Dell already announced the impending release of a Core 2 Duo computer?

Anyway, if Merom is released on time in August, we could be seeing Merom MBP's later that month or sometime in September. I'm going off to college this fall and I'm holding out for the Merom MBP's after looking at friends who went to college last year and are holding laptops that seems ancient. The switch to 64-bit seems pretty important, too. As there's probably no way to get ahold of one of these MBP's before classes start, I'll be using a relatively old Dell Latitude running Linux in the meantime. My question, though, is how long should I wait after the release to go out and buy one? Since this would be the second major revision of the MBP, would there be the plethora of problems experienced by the current MBPs? The Dell/Linux is just a temporary solution, and is quite old (external optical drive, one semi-functional usb port, ~2 hour battery life, etc.), so I'd like to get my hands on a new laptop ASAP, but after the goings on of Rev. A, i'm a bit hesitant. Any thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.