Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to the MacBook introduction today, Apple has quietly bumped the specs of its MacBook Pro line, leaving pricepoints unchanged.

The lineup currently stands as:
15.4" 2.0Ghz Core Duo, $1,999
15.4" 2.16Ghz Core Duo, $2,499
17" 2.16Ghz Core Duo, $2,799

Customers are also now able to custom-build their MacBook Pro with a glossy screen at no additional charge.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
It's nice to see that Apple is stepping up the pace with respect to its updates now that they are an Intel shop. Hopefully we will continue to see frequent speed bumps, etc. like this. To compete with the likes of Dell, etc., Apple pretty much has to - updates every 6 months simply doesn't cut it anymore. :cool:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
finchna said:
but still no FW800 or DL DVD burner support on the 15"
Is there a drive that does this that fits in the 15" case yet? I thought the only reason the 17" got this was because the trackpad didn't sit over the drive (so there was more room for a bigger drive)?

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
Well, as a 1.83 owner, I admit to some disappointment, but hey, life's tough in the aluminum siding business.

I'm happy to see that updates in the intel era won't be limited to 6 month or longer major releases, but will in fact be updated to keep up with the bleeding edge of technology. Good job Apple!

I am also pretty intrigued by the glossy screen that Apple is offering. I love the colors on that style of screen in general, but always feel like they suffer from quite a lot of glare. I'm nto sure which I would have picked had there been a choice when I bought!

pincho said:
:( bought the 1.83ghz version 3 weeks ago, now im wanting 2.0ghz and the shiny screen

I'm feelin' for you, I'm in the same boat exactly!

Oct 31, 2005
so glossy or not glossy? Im getting my mbp replaced,lol. Maybe they added that cool right click thing also?

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Nice move Apple

I have to commend Apple for another round bumps with no charge. I do however feel for those who have already purchased MacBook Pros.

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
2.0 ghz Macbook nearly as good Spec as MBP

Is it just me that noticed that the 2.0ghz MacBook has nearly the same specs speed wize as the 2.16 MBP. Granted it is nice that the consumer laptop is that nicley priced but is is absurd that the MBP came out costing as much as it did. What are the benefits of the MBP at this point other than the screen and the hard drive. The 15'' MBP is pretty much obselete right now and I could not see anyone paying the money for that computer.

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
guzhogi said:
You might be able to use Apple's trade-in program or up-to-date or whatever it's called to get the new 2 GHz one

I can't say I've ever heard of this.... What is it?

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
bbrosemer said:
Is it just me that noticed that the 2.0ghz MacBook has nearly the same specs speed wize as the 2.16 MBP. Granted it is nice that the consumer laptop is that nicley priced but is is absurd that the MBP came out costing as much as it did. What are the benefits of the MBP at this point other than the screen and the hard drive. The 15'' MBP is pretty much obselete right now and I could not see anyone paying the money for that computer.

two words: dedicated video

Oct 31, 2005
Ok, My replacement MBP order was changed, but what actually got changed? lol, maybe a model without whine, with right click? what does "no Optional SW" mean in the top order?

untitled.jpg

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
Graphics Card on MacBooks!!!

Ok I now see a huge difference that graphics card on the MacBook is an Intel... Ehhhh... More $ to get the Nvidia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.