Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrRugged

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
I would love to hear from actual users on this forum who've finally received the touch bar model as to what they think about the touch bar and battery life.

Reactions: Geert76

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Probably should have some today. Yesterday everyone was setting them up, so it is unlikely anyone could really tell how the battery life was.

Reactions: Geert76

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
First day using it at work. Early impressions.....

1. love, love, love TouchID on the MacBook. Cant go back now to not having it (1Password users will really appreciate)
2. It really feels tiny compared to my old MacBook Pro when holding it.
3. Im the only one in the office so far. Sitting in a quiet room. The keyboard is LOUD!!!

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Thanks for sharing. What do you think of the touch bar so far?

I have to admit, I never been that much of a function key person. But TouchID is super great.
Will play around with the Touchbar more today.

MarcBou

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
First day using it at work. Early impressions.....

1. love, love, love TouchID on the MacBook. Cant go back now to not having it (1Password users will really appreciate)
2. It really feels tiny compared to my old MacBook Pro when holding it.
3. Im the only one in the office so far. Sitting in a quiet room. The keyboard is LOUD!!!
Sorry for my ignorance, what are the uses of the touch ID besides Apple Pay and initiating the Macbook? It works in every website I have to put a password? Or only some specific sites?

BTW, is there a free version of 1Passrowd?

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
So far it's pretty decent.

I enjoy the build and display quality (though it doesnt seem like to goes up to 500nits?) my only complaint so far is I seem to be getting 5-6 hours of the quoted 10. But perhaps this is because I'm still settings things up.

There is a lot of negativity about the keyboard, but I actually prefer this to the old one. (Odd, I know.)

15" / 1TB / 460 / 2.9GHZ

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Sorry for my ignorance, what are the uses of the touch ID besides Apple Pay and initiating the Macbook? It works in every website I have to put a password? Or only some specific sites?

1password is expensive, but worth the cost. That is honestly the single best thing about the TouchBar IMO.

Reactions: ixxx69 and SBruv

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

I enjoy the build and display quality (though it doesnt seem like to goes up to 500nits?) my only complaint so far is I seem to be getting 5-6 hours of the quoted 10. But perhaps this is because I'm still settings things up.

There is a lot of negativity about the keyboard, but I actually prefer this to the old one. (Odd, I know.)

15" / 1TB / 460 / 2.9GHZ
My guess is your machine is still going through the normal new setup procedures like indexing which will take a hit on the battery life.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008

logging in/unlocking/switching users is the big use for it. And of course using it with 1Password every time you need to login to a website.

I think there is a free 30-day demo of 1Password (you can get on their website).
[doublepost=1479221284][/doublepost]
1password is expensive, but worth the cost. That is honestly the single best thing about the TouchBar IMO.

I guess its expensive, but I don't mind paying for a really good piece of software that I use a lot.

Reactions: dugbug

MarcBou

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
logging in/unlocking/switching users is the big use for it. And of course using it with 1Password every time you need to login to a website.

I think there is a free 30-day demo of 1Password (you can get on their website).
[doublepost=1479221284][/doublepost]

I guess its expensive, but I don't mind paying for a really good piece of software that I use a lot.
Hmm then I think I won't be using the touch ID much, just for loggin in. Don't see a real benefit of this.

I see 1password is 2,99$ per month, no too expensive, but I don't think I'll get it since usually my passwords are already saved in most sites and I get in authomatically.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Hmm then I think I won't be using the touch ID much, just for loggin in. Don't see a real benefit of this.

I see 1password is 2,99$ per month, no too expensive, but I don't think I'll get it since usually my passwords are already saved in most sites and I get in authomatically.

they offer a non-subscription license too. I don't ever save my passwords in the browser.

I also password lock some of my notes, and of course Apple Pay.

MarcBou

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
they offer a non-subscription license too. I don't ever save my passwords in the browser.
I've allways had a desktop PC at home, never owned a laptop, so didn't really care about saving passwords in the browser, but now that you mention it, it makes sense that is not a good option having them saved, haha.

I'll think about it. Anyway 2,99€ is just a couple of beers per month

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003

This is the one reason I'm considering the 15" TB version over the 13" non-TB. I want >10 hours of battery life (which seems to rule out the 13" TB version), so now the question is can I live with the extra weight of the 15" in order to get TouchID to use with 1Password, or should I just stick with the lighter 13" non-TB version.

Cost is not a huge factor in the decision.

stfng

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2016
My macbook pro makes a random clicking noise every 20-30 seconds coming under the trackpad. Laptop works fine but the noise is rather annoying in a quite room. Maybe it's the ssd making the noise. Anyone else with 15" macbook pro touchbar hear similar noises?

Foss

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
I've had my 2016 MBP 15" for about 24 hours now. I spent the first few hours doing all the initial set-up since I decided not to restore from a back-up. I'm coming from the first rMBP from 2012. I'm noticing a very large performance improvement from all my daily activities coming from my old machine. The new display is gorgeous, liking the ginormous trackpad, and I like the keyboard. The keyboard does feel a bit clicky, but I'm happy with it and can hammer away typing when needed. The touch bar is interesting, and it looks like there is a period of adjustment to fully utilize it to maximum potential. So far it seems apps are are going to trickle out to fully take advantage of the new medium. I'm disappointed MS Office hasn't included the new touch bar functionality yet that was demo'ed during the keynote. Once there are more apps that have been coded for it, I'm convinced it will provide some good utility for my daily use anyways. After moving lots of files around, I can attest that the new SSD is blazing fast. Form factor wise, I got the space grey, and I like the look of it. Also, it definitely feels lighter and slimmer compared to my old 2012 rMBP. I was jamming some music via the internal speakers last night, and there is a very noticeable improvement in volume and dynamic range.

Last edited:

Stanfield

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2016
My macbook pro makes a random clicking noise every 20-30 seconds coming under the trackpad. Laptop works fine but the noise is rather annoying in a quite room. Maybe it's the ssd making the noise. Anyone else with 15" macbook pro touchbar hear similar noises?

I got mine yesterday and I am definitely not hearing this. That does not sound normal.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Perhaps your Taptic Engine is on the fritz?

Do an NVRAM reset and see if it continues:

How to reset NVRAM on late-2016 MacBook Pro models
Follow these steps to reset your Mac computer's NVRAM if you have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt Ports), or MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Two Thunderbolt Ports).

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Find Command (⌘), Option, P, and R on your keyboard.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you turn on your Mac.
  5. Hold these keys down for at least 20 seconds to ensure that your Mac completes the process correctly.
  6. Release the keys.
After resetting NVRAM, you might need to reconfigure settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information.

stfng

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2016
Perhaps your Taptic Engine is on the fritz?

Do an NVRAM reset and see if it continues:

How to reset NVRAM on late-2016 MacBook Pro models
Follow these steps to reset your Mac computer's NVRAM if you have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt Ports), or MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Two Thunderbolt Ports).

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Find Command (⌘), Option, P, and R on your keyboard.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you turn on your Mac.
  5. Hold these keys down for at least 20 seconds to ensure that your Mac completes the process correctly.
  6. Release the keys.
After resetting NVRAM, you might need to reconfigure settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information.

I actually did this yesterday when i was on the phone with apple support for my external monitor issue. It didn't fix the clicking issue.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA

my only complaint so far is I seem to be getting 5-6 hours of the quoted 10. But perhaps this is because I'm still settings things up.

15" / 1TB / 460 / 2.9GHZ
my god only 5-6 hours? some people get up to 13 hours with web surfing for example

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
my god only 5-6 hours? some people get up to 13 hours with web surfing for example
It actually seems to be getting better as of today. I'm thinking it was attributed to setup and indexing. I'm at 80% now and it's estimating 8:44 remaining.

And I've had about an hour and a half of actual screen on time thus far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.