Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tianhuailiu

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2016
If you feel you key get stuck, you do not need to go to the apple store and replace it.

Just PRESSS THE KEY HARDER AND HARDER to get rid of the dust stuck underneath.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
Old trick which sometimes works, but it's a temporary fix, much like cleaning the keyboard with compressed air. If the switch is damaged, the issue will eventually pop up again. Been there, tried to live with it using these methods, eventually had to give up. Can't bother to start my working day mashing buttons and spraying air on them to get my keyboard to work, and no one should be expected to, really.

As much as it sucks, the only solution (which might itself be temporary!) is a whole top case replacement.

Reactions: jerryk

tianhuailiu

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2016
Old trick which sometimes works, but it's a temporary fix, much like cleaning the keyboard with compressed air. If the switch is damaged, the issue will eventually pop up again. Been there, tried to live with it using these methods, eventually had to give up. Can't bother to start my working day mashing buttons and spraying air on them to get my keyboard to work, and no one should be expected to, really.

As much as it sucks, the only solution (which might itself be temporary!) is a whole top case replacement.

Yes, the issue will pop up again but that is because key will always be stuck with dust. Personally, I do not think that the switch will be damaged that easily. I mean I press extremely hard to get rid of that dust....

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yes, the issue will pop up again but that is because key will always be stuck with dust. Personally, I do not think that the switch will be damaged that easily. I mean I press extremely hard to get rid of that dust....

Be careful when you "press extremely hard". The force has to go somewhere. If you look a diagram at your MBP from the side, you are also pushing down hard on the batteries or circuit board. Maybe you will knock some grit out of the butterfly mechanism, but do you really wanting to be pushing down hard on the batteries or circuit board?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.