Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Hey guys,

Owner of a one week old MBP here (15, 2.33 ghz)

I've got a fresh batch of issues/questions in a neat list form for easy answering =)

1. My trackpad was working flawlessly for days until yesterday when it started "sticking" every now and then. IE: I move my finger diagonally for a few centimeters but the cursor does not move. It will move when I reposition my finger and try again. Has anyone had this issue?

2. The iSight quality seems a bit....grainy. I have a Logitech Deluxe Webcam (60$ retail) for my HP laptop that takes crystal clear pictures. When I try to use Photo Booth on the MBP, the iSight quality is a bit grainy and disappointing. Is there any way to adjust the settings?

3. Is it just me, or does it take ridiculously long to charge the battery? After using the MBP on battery power for about 20-30 minutes, and then plugging it in, it says it needs 42 minutes to charge! Since when does it take longer to charge than the use time?

4. Where do you get to the advanced settings in Mac OS X? I'd like to tweak the settings on the ATI card, the iSight, and all sorts of things but the System Prefs seems very limited as to what you can and can't edit.

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
Hey guys,

Owner of a one week old MBP here (15, 2.33 ghz)

I've got a fresh batch of issues/questions in a neat list form for easy answering =)

1. My trackpad was working flawlessly for days until yesterday when it started "sticking" every now and then. IE: I move my finger diagonally for a few centimeters but the cursor does not move. It will move when I reposition my finger and try again. Has anyone had this issue?

If you've just woken the computer up, the trackpad can lag few seconds (at least that's what i find). [Or if your fingers are dirty/wet it will have trouble.]

2. The iSight quality seems a bit....grainy. I have a Logitech Deluxe Webcam (60$ retail) for my HP laptop that takes crystal clear pictures. When I try to use Photo Booth on the MBP, the iSight quality is a bit grainy and disappointing. Is there any way to adjust the settings?

Yeah, iSight is not the best quality for still pics, but then i use a proper digi-cam for that. You can get third party software to adjust iSight settings, such as iGlasses: http://www.ecamm.com/mac/iglasses/ [but i've never tried it myself]

3. Is it just me, or does it take ridiculously long to charge the battery? After using the MBP on battery power for about 20-30 minutes, and then plugging it in, it says it needs 42 minutes to charge! Since when does it take longer to charge than the use time?

That's normal (i had the same with my powerbook). it charges quicker if you're not using it of course.

4. Where do you get to the advanced settings in Mac OS X? I'd like to tweak the settings on the ATI card, the iSight, and all sorts of things but the System Prefs seems very limited as to what you can and can't edit.

System Prefs normally does what i need - i dunno how to tweak ATI settings etc., but then i've had no reason to. good luck.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
I thought that I had the same problem until I realized that my thumb would occasionally be resting (just the very tip- barely noticable) on the edge of the trackpad. In this case, it would ignore anything I tried to do with my finger.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
3. To answer your question about the battery. The batteries charge in two ways, burst and some other way I cannot remember. When the battery has not charge, it will burst charge (quick) up to 80% I think, and from there on it will go to the slower charge. This I beleive is in order to get all the cells in the battery properly charged. From 80% and up, the charge process is slower but also more thorough. This is why it takes 40 minutes to charge the last 80% when you have used the computer for 20 minutes or so. Basically it takes around 1 and a half, two hours to recharge, the first half of which is burst, the second which is the slower proces.

Hope this cleared up a little bit. If someone has other more thorough information, please correct me :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.