Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suwandy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
shecky said:
something to be aware of that i saw elsewhere but i think was mentioned here before: this saturday is the end of the fiscal 3rd quarter for Apple. Therefore this coming tuesday is the first tuesday of the 4th quarter.

OK i am reaching, but i could believe that apple waited until 4th quarter to release specifically to have huge numbers in Q4. Of course, at this point we can always find a reason to justify the next tuesday for a release :)

Sweet, here goes for the Tuesday, again!

Thank God I still have plenty other computers to work on my thesis, when my personal PC are getting closer to dying, although they aren't Mac :(

S i

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
Rome
suwandy said:
Not that I don't understand how some people are eager to get this thread going and hit the record

I don't think anyone is aiming to get over 6200 posts are they?!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/75540/

It's kind of nice to have one central C2D MBP/MB whinging thread at a time to be honest :) I waste even more time when I have to search the forum for threads to get me all upset & anxious about C2D :D

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
Sony fights back?

I finally had to say something... This wait is really frustrating - I've been waiting all summer for the Merom, and now it's getting rather tedious.

I've noticed that Sony have finally started to fight back after sleeping for so long. Not that I'm that interested as I've caught the Apple bug (not sure if it'll develop into full case of Jobitus though). However, these do look very interesting and I think give weight to the feeling that Apple are going to do something about the (slightly) dated looks of the MBP. Lets face it, three years is a very long time for the same basic design (even though it's timeless elegance, etc.)

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09/29/hw_sony_vaio_c_series/

I personally feel that anyone with a lifestyle doesn't have either. And El Reg is superbly sarcastic to this effect. But... I wonder if this may lead some more shallow 'trendy' people to move away from buying an Apple and on to a Vaio?

geiger167

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2006
Just out of curiousity, all the people fence sitting waiting for the new core2duo laptops, how much of a difference do you expect the new processor to make to the performance of the machine ?
The reason I ask is that since upgrading my imac to the 24' model from the coreduo 20' I cant, hand on heart, say there is any particular difference in the machines performance over my previous Intel model. This is no way a criticism by the way, both machines are extremely snappy, programs open fast and both are a joy to use. Although I'm not a heavy professional user (so no long winded rendering here or excessive use of photo/graphic appplications) I just wonder if a lot of people who are sitting on the fence waiting for the CPU upgrade would actually notice any difference using the core2duo processor over the existing coreduo processor already in the machine. I understand the imac is slightly different to a laptop but essentially the components inside are the same so I feel the comparison is fair.
I'm not apple bashing by the way I love my new Imac the extra screen size for watching high def content at native resolutions is stunning, but really day to day running i'm not noticing anything I didn't get with my old 20' coreduo imac :)

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
jfsouza said:
Well everyone, I went to my local Apple Store just outside of Boulder, CO and personally asked the rep there about C2D updates and he basically said they should be in by the Holiday season.

Given that we're into Ramadan and today is Friday, I think our wait may finally be over!;)

macha

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2006
the waiting took me too long. No merom macbook ( pro ) for me.
just ordered my alienware area 51 laptop with core 2 duo......
a supermachine for less.

S i

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
Rome
geiger167 said:
Just out of curiousity, all the people fence sitting waiting for the new core2duo laptops, how much of a difference do you expect the new processor to make to the performance of the machine ?

For me personally, I'm not deciding to wait based on a perception of performance increase, however, I imagine C2D to have increased performance best measured instead of felt. The MBP will be a replacement for a 2.8GB RAM (4Gb not available due to memory mapped io space blah blah) 64-bit XP/Linux laptop I own, & I'm not about to step back to the days of 32-bit. There are both developer & user reasons behind that. Were I not requiring 64-bit, I'd still wait anyway, so I'd know what the refreshed line had to offer. There might be updates beyond C2D, & I'm certainly hoping for them.

Because I can wait, I will, & I won't confuse wanting badly with needing. Most people have something they can use during the wait. A few posters here (not yourself) seem pretty hostile to "waiters", & quite frankly seem as if they would force you to buy now if they could. They are acting crazy, in my opinion. What about waiting inspires these people to get all "activist" about it?!

Enjoy that 24" iMac! -- I reckon I might pick one up myself for when I'm back in UK

macha said:
a supermachine for less.

Well, if you need it I can understand frankly. Were you a PC user thinking of switching btw? (I don't want to assume)

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
macha said:
a supermachine for less.

Enjoy that testicle warmer. Would double up as a dumb bell for you to train up those pasty biceps too.

S i said:
A few posters here (not yourself) seem pretty hostile to "waiters", & quite frankly seem as if they would force you to buy now if they could. They are acting crazy, in my opinion. What about waiting inspires these people to get all "activist" about it?!

Simple psychological explaination: they bought, they regret it, they know they screwed up. Subconsciously they just want more to share in their mistakes so it won't feel as bad.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
geiger167 said:

For me, surprisingly, it's not so much the performance gain, it's the fact that I've been waiting (=lusting) after a shiny new lappie to replace my G4 and aging Vaio. I replace my lappies every three years whether I need to or not! The 3rd anniversary was in June, so I've been looking around and will go for a MBP 17" (or is that a 15", or MB Black, oooh, the choices - it's like a kid in a sweet shop!). As it's a professional purchase, money's not really the problem.

My real issue is I've been hanging on for so long now, I'm damned if I'm going to buy an old model. Yep, the heels have dug in and I'm not budging off the pot (no matter how many metaphors I mix).

It's a royal pain though as I really do want to dump the two lappies and get one replacement. Or do I? Maybe I need a small portable one and a big desktop replacement to wow my clients.....

I think I'm really waiting for an update that includes a higher resolution screen (I write lots of code, so would prefer WUXGA), and a very big disc (music and Windros XP VM's take up a lot of room). However, I've a feeling that this might be too much. I'd really be niggled if they release the MBPM and nothing else - I'm then faced with waiting for Santa Rosa.

S i

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
Rome
generik said:
Enjoy that testicle warmer. Would double up as a dumb bell for you to train up those pasty biceps too.

Simple psychological explaination: they bought, they regret it, they know they screwed up. Subconsciously they just want more to share in their mistakes so it won't feel as bad.

You got me thinking, so I just measured my PC laptop. 6kg & 2in height. The power brick is enormous too. Was getting so hot that it'd shut down regularly if I didn't carry out pretty regular compressed air cleaning.

Psych eval in hand, I'll keep an eye out for "bought the old one" trauma symptoms :)

ThunderLounge

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
geiger167 said:
The reason I ask is that since upgrading my imac to the 24' model from the coreduo 20' I cant, hand on heart, say there is any particular difference in the machines performance over my previous Intel model. This is no way a criticism by the way, both machines are extremely snappy, programs open fast and both are a joy to use. Although I'm not a heavy professional user (so no long winded rendering here or excessive use of photo/graphic appplications) I just wonder if a lot of people who are sitting on the fence waiting for the CPU upgrade would actually notice any difference using the core2duo processor over the existing coreduo processor already in the machine. I understand the imac is slightly different to a laptop but essentially the components inside are the same so I feel the comparison is fair.
I'm not apple bashing by the way I love my new Imac the extra screen size for watching high def content at native resolutions is stunning, but really day to day running i'm not noticing anything I didn't get with my old 20' coreduo imac :)

Initially, today, you're correct. There isn't a super big improvement over the CD. There is some improvement, but overall not incredible leaps and bounds over buildings and such.

However, in the not so distant future the 64bit capabilities will be coming in handy. When Leopard ships it will be a 64bit OS, it will also work for 32bit as well but that 64bit will shine.

Continuing on, a year from now, a year and a half from now... there will definitely be more 64bit stuff available, which the C2D will run like a champ.

Sure, some people swap up about once a year. For a lot of people though, they swap up more like every 3 or 4 years. So for the latter, they want to ensure that it will be as compatible as possible for things in the future that aren't known yet.

For someone that isn't a real heavy power user, you're right. There probably wouldn't be much noticible difference 2 years from now, but for more advanced usage there certainly will be.

Hope that makes sense, it's still early. :)

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
macbook & 20" cinema

if they don't release a C2D MBP before the end of October, I'm thinking about just getting a Macbook and a 20" Cinema. Those combined cost about as much as a MBP - and the lack of GPU really won't affect my design work... would it?

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
jaigo said:
Face it, Apple is NOT gonna release new macbookpros this year. :mad:
Why would Apple not release them? Apple does not want to look like it's significantly behind, and the cost of the C2Ds is the same, so it's likely just a bit of engineering work being done to fix a few problems with the previous rev. AppleInsider, recently a very reliable source, expects both models to be updated by Thanksgiving. If that's the case, the MBP will likely come out in October, and the MB just in time for Black Thursday.

ThunderLounge

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
shecky said:
something to be aware of that i saw elsewhere but i think was mentioned here before: this saturday is the end of the fiscal 3rd quarter for Apple. Therefore this coming tuesday is the first tuesday of the 4th quarter.

OK i am reaching, but i could believe that apple waited until 4th quarter to release specifically to have huge numbers in Q4. Of course, at this point we can always find a reason to justify the next tuesday for a release :)

Not necessarily grabbing.

Since it does start their new fiscal year. Meaning FY07.

The reply someone made to this was also good food for thought.

Use Q4 of FY06 to ramp up some excitement with a few other products, back to school buzz, etc.

My added thoughts to that would be that it also gives a little room to allow for increased supply of the higher-end chips of the line. Add in the competition that is also demanding chip supplies, and it becomes more reasonable in my mind for the delay. They're now competing with all the other manufacturers for a steady supply of chips to meet their demand. Apple has estimates of the numbers that they'll need to launch the updated line, and if the supply can't keep up yet to be able to provide realistic ship times, this could be another factor.

Then throw in the possibility of engineering concerns which were seen previously with heat. However I don't think that is still happening, but it could have impacted the entire time line a couple months ago which could have pushed back the end of the time line for release.

david6545

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
geiger167 said:

Totally valid point- there is not a big difference between processors. But looking through the 100+ pages of this thread, you keep seeing the same patterns. Someone says exactly what you said and them some others reply that they are waiting to replace their ageing PowerBook and in order to fork out so much on a MBP, they want it to be : a) as futureproof as possible. b) 64 bit to be maximise Leopard's potential c) d) etc.

Posts are just repeating themselves over and over again.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
ThunderLounge said:
Since it does start their new fiscal year. Meaning FY07.

ahh, i did not realize that october was the start of FY for apple; that makes it even slightly more likely in my mind. i hope so; i just got my OEM copy of Win XP in anticipation of my first Intel Mac and Half-Life 2; now its just sitting on my desk waiting for a home.

aaronb

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
I don't understand why so may people say that the MBPs won't be updated AT ALL this year because they weren't updated at a few offered special events. There's an entire 3 months left and I just can't see Apple not doing a thing while Dell/HP/Sony/etc. are selling C2D laptops. there's still 3 months left in this year, Apple is completely capable of distributing laptops within that time frame.

And just because the shipping times of the Yonah MBPs hasn't changed, doesn't mean that they haven't been experimenting with a pretty good amount of Merom MBPs. I think Apple has learned a lot from its notebook mistakes in the past.

ThunderLounge

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
david6545 said:
Posts are just reapeating themselves over and over again.

Yep, it's getting there.

Of course, and the questions are asked again and again.

People could just say RTFT, instead. If it were a 10pg thread, OK. But since it's at 107 and pushing 108 now, the chances get slimmer that someone in a hurry to ask a question is going to actually read back through it all.

S i

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
Rome
shecky said:
ahh, i did not realize that october was the start of FY for apple; that makes it even slightly more likely in my mind. i hope so; i just got my OEM copy of Win XP in anticipation of my first Intel Mac and Half-Life 2; now its just sitting on my desk waiting for a home.

Oo yeah! Half-Life 2 is waiting for me to finish my current project. Best I'd go do some of it I guess :eek: Felt chatty today is all :)

tarjan

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2006
Most companies release oct/nov because it gets them past the back to school purchase rush yet gives them plenty of time to be available for the winter holiday purchase rush.

Maybe thats the plan.

I just want higher screen resolution and a better video card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.