Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CjPhan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I am aware of the existence of software that enables the adjustment of the RPM for the fans. So before I get criticism for this, I'd like to inform you all :). Also I didn't purchase a warranty, nor did this void it with this project because I already broke my optical drive by prying it out with mini-shears to put in my optibay.

This is my first post as well. In my opinion, it's quite alright.

Macbooks tend to overheat when enduring large programs or games. My macbook especially overheats even though I set the fan to run faster then stock (Istat menu pro)

So I decided to modify my macbook, physically it isn't as impressive as the guy who decided to put a biometric finger print scanner into his, but this mod is better then the Cooool apple logo mods or the panda keyboard =_=.

What I did was I got my local metal shop to cut out a rectangle out of the bottom of my aluminum cover. This rectangle resides directly under my fan.
I also had pieces of perforated steel to fit( The aluminum that they had which I preferred was too thick). Everything was eyeballed to fit. Afterwards I used a cement bonding agent to bond together the piece of steel and aluminum cover together. ( Look below for pictures).

The final pieces which were a spontaneous addition were the pieces of plastic mesh and metal mesh. The plastic mesh was superglued onto the steel and then the metal mesh followed. The mesh is to hopefully prevent any intruding objects that may wish to make it's way into my motherboard. Enjoy :)

2011-10-13170825.jpg

2011-10-13170852.jpg

2011-10-13185105.jpg

2011-10-13190958.jpg

2011-10-13220206.jpg

2011-10-13220529.jpg

Screenshot2011-10-13at101328PM.png

Last edited:

CjPhan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
It's quite beautiful. If only you can feel it, the way the air moves through the mesh and out the vent. It's literally cool.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
I've gotta agree that it does not look visually appealing, but I would like to know the real-world temperature difference.

Reactions: me55

PirateMonkey

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I thought of this the other day not that I would bother or dare do it, but my idea was to cut measured vent lines out of the body not a great big hole lol, plug in your charger and do some heavy work and test this out see how much of temp loss there actually is, one thing with this mod is your going to have to look out for dust building up in the heat sink now and restricting the air flow, the reason apple didn't put any vents into the system other than an exhaust is because of that reason, 4-5 years ago a few AMD HP laptops were over heating due to heat sink air flow restriction because of a design flaw that allows dust to basically form a wall over the intake on the heat sink. I know you have put mesh over to prevent this but fine particle build up will happen now.

Reactions: Tenkaykev

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Now if that spanned the entire width of the bottom, and had much, much smaller holes, then it would be great.
Except it would have a huge dust problem.

Also, you have a strange sense of style. Very strange. Almost like a PC user's.

Last edited:

Nevermake

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Good idea, not for me tho...

Also, I'm asking myself... why didnt you just drill the holes into your bottom cover? I think it would have been way more appealing to the eye in that case...

Reactions: GumaRodak

Apok

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
Interesting idea. and not terrible looking. Though I would think you will end up having quite a dust problem. Perhaps you might want to look into finding a much finer mesh to put there to filter dust. Otherwise the buildup of dust inside could cause problems down the road.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
If he buys a new bottom case and replaces it, then apple would never know if he did this mod. Disregarding the fact about the prying of the optical drive.

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Anyone can get 29C by idling and jacking the fans up to 6200rpm. A case mod like this was totally unnecessary. The real challenge is to keep your MBP below 40C while doing everyday work on it.

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England
Did you try first removing the existing thermal paste on the CPU and GPU and replacing with arctic silver? Given how thick Apple seem to apply the thermal paste usually and the better properties of arctic silver, this can actually make a big difference to temperatures and doesn't require any external mods. I've not tried this on a MBP myself, but have done on desktop PCs with good results and know others have tried this with MBPs.

There's various guides about this online...

B.LI

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
This is a good idea! but IMPO it doesn't look appealing to me plus I won't have the guts to drill a hole into my mbp... :p

anyways, I'm quite interested to see the fingerprint mod you mentioned, do you have a link to it by any chance?

xpcker

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2010
i loved it, ill do it too when i buy the 2012 macbook pro. please put more benchmarks, also, next time dont forget to have before and after shots!

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Nice job OP. It obviously wouldn't fool anyone that it is oem apple design, but it looks nice nonetheless. As another person said, you could simply order a replacement bottom cover and perform the mod on that so you don't void your warranty.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Your macbook wasn't overheating in the first place. It felt hot due to the aluminum casing, but trust me, it wasn't overheating.

If it was, it would've shut down to prevenr damage to itself.

Congrats on ruining a perfectly good laptop on a whim.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
Your macbook wasn't overheating in the first place. It felt hot due to the aluminum casing, but trust me, it wasn't overheating.

If it was, it would've shut down to prevenr damage to itself.

Congrats on ruining a perfectly good laptop on a whim.

You do realize that cutting a piece out of the REPLACEABLE bottom plate doesn't necessarily "ruined" his laptop.

He wanted to lower temperatures, so he did.

Reactions: Hackintosh Sr.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
You do realize that cutting a piece out of the REPLACEABLE bottom plate doesn't necessarily "ruined" his laptop.

He wanted to lower temperatures, so he did.

True. Said replacable part is expensive, and hid mod killed the resale value.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
True. Said replacable part is expensive, and hid mod killed the resale value.

It did kill the resale value, if he was trying to sell it like that. I found 13" and 15" brand new replacement bottoms for $70-$80, which I consider to be cheap.

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
Man, you guys are freaking harsh.

I think it's a great mod. Personally, I'd like to find a way to add an air filter if I were to do it, but all in all, it doesn't look bad, and it appears to be functional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.