Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falcon1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
Is the 128MB video card that comes with the low end macbook pro good enough for gaming or is getting the computer with the 256MB video worth the money?

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Well you arent just getting 256 with the top-end 15". You get more RAM and a faster CPU. Which will make the overall experience better.

If you have money go for the 2.33 model. Since it has the extra vram and the other bonuses that make it worth it.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
The difference is not huge, and you could save 500$ by going with the 128 mb one if you plan on doing less heavy gaming. However, it is by no means slow either and it has enough vram to play games just fine. I wouldn't worry.

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Is the 128MB video card that comes with the low end macbook pro good enough for gaming or is getting the computer with the 256MB video worth the money?

Depends on what games you're talking about.

As a previous poster mentioned, I'd suggest you do a search of the games you're interested in to see if they'd work well with a 128MB graphics card (most do).

falcon1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
Well right now I don't play games because my windows computer doesn't have enough ram and i'm going to upgrade whatever laptop I get to 2GB of ram but I would like to start online gaming. I'm going to be using it for college and just everyday things along with some music programs and gaming so the 2.33 is a better bargain all around?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Come on, man......toughen up! :p Most people are more than capable of carrying a Mac Pro around as a portable.

I say get the 256 MB model. When you get to uni, you may be playing games you never thought you'd play just to participate and make friends. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.