Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LionsKiss

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
HK
I am thinking of switching to Apple from the PC. Macbook Pro vs Macbook [Q1]

Usage:
Web-browsing (Firefox)
Emails
Office *Word
Youtube
DVDs

I am thinking of toying with the movie editing and music editing. Probably a lot more will be with music composing.
Will NOT
Play games (
Will get a PS3 because of Singstar)

I am currently studying at Uni (LLB). I will probably not have too much time for audio composition. As I have Piano/Guitar/Cantonese lessons to take and as well fitness.

I have a budget of 2400 USD. I was thinking of maybe going with a Macbook, and a 2 Ghz Mac Pro or just get Macbook and Mac Mini if Macbook/Mac Mini would suite my needs and save the money. I have a 19" screen *1280x1024. Or should I get a MacBook Pro with a nice dockingstation?

Would a Macbook suite my needs?[Q1]

How often does Apple have these expos? [Q2]

Yes, I will wait till Sept 12th for the "update"

Cheers

MatthewCobb

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
Manchester, UK
MacBook's the one

The title says it all - with your needs (very much like my own), you don't need the 64-bit processing of the MBP.An MB would also be better than a Mini - use it in college. Save the money you'd have spent on an MBP. Buy as much RAM as you can. That's what I've done (and IT SHOULD BE HERE BY THE END OF THE WEEK!)

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
If you aren't going to play games then the Macbook should suit you well. When you say movie editing, do you mean with a pro app or with some iLife app? That could make a difference. If you are going to get a Mac Pro, then definately go with the Macbook. If you are still deciding, then I would say that it depends on what you want to edit with. If you wish to go with a pro suite of movie editing software, then the Macbook Pro might be the way to go. However, if you have patience, the MacBook can get the job done, and you will save yourself a bunch of money.:)

LionsKiss

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
HK
MacBook Pro are around 1800. I could nearly buy 2 Macbooks. Well any movie editing would be mostly a simple 3-4 min clip. I can't afford a 500 USD app for playing around. I would probably stick to more with Music Editing / Recording if anything at a basic level. Just for play.

Well it seems I will get a Macbook 1.8Ghz with 1 gig ram. 1 Gig is enough right? [Q3]

And with 1200 USD spare, I could always get a low level Mac Pro (if you can call them that) at later stage. Ofcourse the Mac Pro would be at 2000 USD, I would get some more cash for the Budget then.

Thanks for the help!

Edit
Hehe added youtube for fun.....it's to do with basic music recording and uploading it. But honestly would Email/ Browsing ever really needed actually to be stated that one will do that on a PC?

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Well if your budget is $2400 I would go with a 2.0GHz MBP and upgrade the RAM to at least 1GB. That would run you $1889 from the Apple online store with (EDU discount). With the extra money I would get a large external hard drive, Applecare, mouse, keyboard, laptop case.

The MBP will do everything you want to do and more. Plus I really thinking the portability is a definite requirement for college students.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
MartinJ said:
I am thinking of switching to Apple from the PC.

I am currently studying at Uni (LLB). I will probably not have too much time for audio composition. As I have Piano/Guitar/Cantonese lessons to take and as well fitness.

I have a budget of 2400 USD. I was thinking of maybe going with a Macbook, and a 2 Ghz Mac Pro or just get Macbook and Mac Mini if Macbook/Mac Mini would suite my needs and save the money. I have a 19" screen *1280x1024. Or should I get a MacBook Pro with a nice dockingstation?

Would a Macbook suite my needs?[Q1]

How often does Apple have these expos? [Q2]

Yes, I will wait till Sept 12th for the "update"

Cheers

Why do you need two computers??

I think you'd be best off with a Macbook. Load it up with RAM and then buy a larger LCD for when you are at home/office. Also get a large Firewire hard drive to keep at home/office. A "mini" and a "macbook" are really the same thing on the inside except for the LCD and battery so buying a mini gets you nothing over the Macbook. I'd just connect a larger LCD and a real keyboard and mouse.

the macbook or mini can do movie editing in iLife's "iMovie" and that works well enough for most people but if you need a multitrack editor with video compositing then you are into FCP and a lot more money and you will want at least a 23 inch screen

LionsKiss

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
HK
Ok I will get a Macbook

Why I wanted maybe two was if Macbook was not enough then I would have a Mac Pro and not have to be bothered about a 15" laptop. But as the Macbook is good enough I will stick with it.

Cheers!

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
good choice. If you bought a macbook pro to satisfy those needs, it would really be overdoing it, like many already have done. Theres actually colleges that make you get a macbook pro, which to me is rediculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.