Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcasad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2018
Forgive me if this has been posted before, I did a quick search and didnt have any luck.

I'm looking for someway to connect my MacBook to my two external displays, speakers, ethernet, and get a couple of USB ports with minimal connections to the MacBook. When I'm at my desk at work, I like to be able to plug the MacBook in without fidgeting with a bunch of ports.

I purchased a Dell D6000 which has everything I need and is perfect, but I cant for the life of me get anything to work on it.

Has anyone had any luck finding anything? I was holding out and really hoping the hengedock (vertical) would work for me, and then I learned it just has two usb-c ports on the back of it. So it would really just put me back to square one (purchasing another hub of some sort to connect to it to make all of my peripherals work).

Thanks for any help in advance!

rcasad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2018
I ended up ordering this one to support three monitors. However, i'm still waiting for it to come in...

https://www.cdw.com/product/StarTech.com/4725339?

Thanks for your reply! I looked at that one as well, but I had never heard of StarTech and was trying to get something that I was familiar with. Ive done some digging this morning and found that the D6000 I have WOULD work, but Apple doesn't support Thunderbolt 3 Docks that were certified before the release of the 2016 MacBook Pro.

There is no information on Apple's support sites about it and the docks themselves dont give any information about it either. So I guess its really a guessing game which will work and which wont.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
There are several Thunderbolt 3 docks. And there are reviews and comparisons on the Mac Blog here on MacRumors.

CalDigit generally makes the best ones.

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2018
I found an open box OWC TB3 dock on eBay for 170. I would have paid the 300 for it, new, now that I'm using it.

El Gota and Cal Digit are probably almost just as good though. I think you should attack this by how many ports you beed and for what purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.