Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spendlove

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Cambridge UK
Jaja, that was my only concern. The new macbook pro with the radeon pro 460 should give a very good experience in games like Arma 3 besides all the other benefits on native apps like final cut pro, logic, resolve. It has a lot of horsepower.
Wonder what the new iMac will have under the hood.

This is exactly what I am wondering. New iMac, retina screen, touch bar on a new magic keyboard (or touchpad!) and what sort of grunt power it has inside? Plus happy to see the new MacBooks support Boot Camp.

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
Don't care about Windoze. What I'm wondering is if it will be possible to install and run any current Linux distro on these new laptops.

Obviously Apple has not written a Linux Touch Bar driver (boogers), and it's too new for any distro to have independently created one on their own yet, if it's even possible (cause of the T1). I'm just hoping Linux can be installed by connecting a standard keyboard to these laptops. Actual function keys are actually useful in Linux.

I also wonder what the OS behavior will be like for Windows or Linux running in a VM such as Parallels or VirtualBox.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
In my case, I use the function keys for music/volume almost continuously while working on other apps, and I don't even take my eyes off the screen while doing so. Even if FN brings them back, I'd still have to peek down the touchbar to make sure I'm pressing the right key. I wouldn't call that an improvement in intuitiveness.

Those aren't the function keys, the function keys are F1 to F12. You don't need to press FN to access those. I also fail to believe you can invisibly reach the volume button any better than you'll be able to do on the Touch Bar seen as there's nothing to "feel" to tell you which key you're actually on.

And if you're really concerned about "the volume key" and can't see the thousand ways this would improve productivity, well, then I give up.

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
I just don't get it. There is plenty of room on the surface, the gigantic touchpad proves it, to have even a thin row of traditional buttons ESC-F12, without affecting the touch bar. Why remove/not include it?

AfroAbel

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2016
The Netherlands
Doesn't fix the benefits of having real function key feel when reaching for them without looking. Failed ergonomics 101.
That's like saying a virtual keyboard on a iPhone/iPad doesn't benefit the feel of a real key when reaching without looking.

You haven't tried it but already have your judgement ready about how you won't remember where everything is without feeling an actual button.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I wanted to say something witty but I'm feeling too much relief.

Legitimately would not have been surprised in the slightest if they decided to kill off bootcamp for the new MacBook Pros.

That's the kind of vibe I'm getting from this company lately.

This is my fear also. But if they did kill it off and I had to choose between Windows and Mac I would probably end up switching to Windows.

I hope Apple has the courage to stick with it and I'm glad to see, for now at least, they have.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
...because the $249 keyboard would be gimped to only work properly with 2016 Macs.

This is what is getting me - 90% of the time I use my MacBook Pro on an elevator stand, giving me a dual-monitor setup with an external monitor and keyboard. It commutes with me between home and work but the laptop keyboard only gets used a few weeks a year when I'm on a trip. Several of my colleagues work the same way.

(...admittedly I got into this habit in the days of the pre-Unibody Macbook Pro which had an awful keyboard)

So, while I do think the touchbar is a cool idea for people who mainly use their laptop, its pretty irrelevant to people like me - all I see is a rMBP brought more or less up to date and given an eye-watering price hike (even on the new pro/Air crossover which, otherwise, would be a credible MBA replacement).

Fail.

A few dongles I could live with - balanced by the promise of single-cable docking - but OMG the price...
Single cable docking is the dream. I often use mine this way too, but I carry it around less since I'm not in school any more and I got an iMac at work, so it's probably time to get an iMac at home as well.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Those aren't the function keys, the function keys are F1 to F12. You don't need to press FN to access those. I also fail to believe you can invisibly reach the volume button any better than you'll be able to do on the Touch Bar seen as there's nothing to "feel" to tell you which key you're actually on.

And if you're really concerned about "the volume key" and can't see the thousand ways this would improve productivity, well, then I give up.

It's the same row of keys. And yes, I know where the playback/volume controls are by touch. And it won't improve my productivity as much as it will give me neck pain, because I simply don't look down while working. Clear?

macsba

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2015
Next to my Mac.
So the configuration I want costs here in Germany 3199 EUR, while the same configuration in NY costs me 2799USD...
With NY sales tax and at the current exchange rate, I save 450 USD...which pays for the ticket to go home for a quick holiday. (If I drive to the Apple Store in NH, I'd probably save even more...)

On the other hand, a Dell XPS 15" with twice the ram and SSD (also PCIe) (4K, 6th Gen i7, 32GB 2133 and 1TB PCIe ssd), basically the maxed out configuration, is 817 USD cheaper than the mac, and 96USD even cheaper if I buy it in Germany...but with a German keyboard.

Why can't we run OS X on a XPS?...Now I need to make a decision...:(
Hi iEMH;

Your best bet is to fly into Boston, MA then drive to Salem, NH. If you flew into New York and the traffic wasn't bad, driving to Salem would be an additional 5 or 6 hours. Yeah, I've heard of some Europeans taking a shopping holiday here in the US.

Reactions: iEMH

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
It's the same row of keys. And yes, I know where the playback/volume controls are by touch. And it won't improve my productivity as much as it will give me neck pain, because I simply don't look down while working. Clear?

Well don't buy one then - and there must be something wrong with your eyes if you actually have to physically look down to see that top row, I can glance its just near the bottom of the screen - there's really no down side to it at all, its very impressive and exciting technology.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Interesting news while browsing for a new Asus Zenbook that can run hackintosh on it. Can't stop counting the USB ports on those.
Only downside is that I cannot plug in those fancy lightning iPhone 7 Earpods into. Oh wait , cannot do that on the new Macbook either.

But at least I can sync the iPhone without any problems on the Zenbook.

You sure know how to whine though... "Bigly".

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
i was wondering about this. i wonder how vmware and the like will handle this

I'm guessing they will have to take advantage of this the same as any update i assume would be needed by any other developer.

I wouldn't except software to just work without an update for API or something for touch bar access.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
The touch bar should work as function keys by default with apps that do not support it in OS X mode too! I have a lot of Mac games that use the function keys just as their PC counterparts. Without those keys, the games become less or nonfunctional. It doesn't seem like Apple puts a lot of thought into extreme actions like removing function keys that have been part of computers since the C64 Era.

Reactions: otternonsense

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Well don't buy one then - and there must be something wrong with your eyes if you actually have to physically look down to see that top row, I can glance its just near the bottom of the screen - there's really no down side to it at all, its very impressive and exciting technology.

Really, I wonder if you're getting paid for all this shilling.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Really, I wonder if you're getting paid for all this shilling.

I wish, perhaps, believe it or not on these forums - I just someone who actually LIKES the technology on offer? Amazing that isn't it. I know - i'm one in a million!

vault

macrumors regular
May 3, 2009
That's like saying a virtual keyboard on a iPhone/iPad doesn't benefit the feel of a real key when reaching without looking.

You haven't tried it but already have your judgement ready about how you won't remember where everything is without feeling an actual button.
On-screen keyboards on phones and tablets work well because you're looking at the screen anyway.

Duh.

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
Don't care about Windoze. What I'm wondering is if it will be possible to install and run any current Linux distro on these new laptops.

Obviously Apple has not written a Linux Touch Bar driver (boogers), and it's too new for any distro to have independently created one on their own yet, if it's even possible (cause of the T1). I'm just hoping Linux can be installed by connecting a standard keyboard to these laptops. Actual function keys are actually useful in Linux.

I also wonder what the OS behavior will be like for Windows or Linux running in a VM such as Parallels or VirtualBox.
I thought about this. It would make no sense to run Linux on these computers (except in a VM, and then Parallels / VMWare / QEMU would probably send F keys to it) because for the money you can get a different laptop of the same / better hardware and same / better build quality for nearly half the price and run Linux on it with excellent hardware support - including vastly better battery life than it can ever perform on Apple hardware (obviously intentionally from Apple).

A reason I had bought Apple in the past was because Linux ran well in a VM inside it. But the opposite scenario is now feasible and much cheaper.

dgkmac

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
So how long do you think it will be before someone writes a "software touch bar" for windows. Windows already has the touch screen. It could be done in such a way to allow the user to configure application specific touch bars. Developers could also post a 'standard' touch bar for their application.

I think it's completely crazy that Apple would use proprietary hardware to implement something like this.

I'll never understand why they didn't do a touch screen for macOS.

BTW, I've been a Macintosh user since January 1984. I left the Apple camp when they started allowing 3rd parties to build Macs and I came back when the iMac was first introduced. I'm leaving again, don't know if I'll be back.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

zzzachi

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
i wanna know what happens with the touchbar if you don't install the bootcamp drivers!
will it stay black?

wabla47

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2016
Switzerland
So much fragmentation.

Apple should have updated all their computers and keyboards with this Touch Bar if they really wanted to have it adopted universally.

I am getting so tired of Apple fragmenting every little bloody feature, whether it's the camera in the iPhones, the keyboards on the laptops, the ports that don't allow for use of iPhones or iPads with laptops, or 5400 Hard Drives in the iMac in 2016.

Benjamin

How do you know that Apple is not planning to introduce the touch bar on all its future Mac products? It's easy to say they should have implemented it on all their computers. Did you think about the fact that it requires new hardware, which has just been developed? This logically means that it can only be implemented in FUTURE products, but not in existing ones.

Walter

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Currently:

To press the Fn keys, you hold down the Fn key and push the F1-F10 keys on the keyboard. Otherwise, they control sound, brightness, mission control/launchpad (does **ANYONE** use Launchpad?!?).

With TouchBar:

To press the Fn keys, you hold down the Fn key and push the F1-F10 keys on the keyboard. Otherwise, they display USEFUL options that are context dependent.

How is this bad?!?

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
Am I the only one who thinks that after adapting for a while using the touch bar will become second nature and willl be able to use it without looking.
Only one is hard to tell... but second nature without looking is impossible because the functions change with what you do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.