Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Hiya guys,

I'm looking to order my first apple today or tomorrow. It is going to be a Macbook, 1.83ghz.

I'm trying to decided on the amount of RAM to get, is 1GB from the apple store enought or am I better off buying 2GB (where is the best place to get it from? (UK)) and upgrading myself.

I also wondered is getting 1 1GB stick now from a store and running with 1256Mb is a possibility, how bad is peformance outside duel channel mode? Anyone have any benchmarks?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
It shouldn't have much of an impact, at least that's what I am doing on my Mini till ram prices drop somemore.

Benchmarks? What you think that is, a gamer's rig? :D

The 1GB will benefit your system more than dual channel ever will, just accept that for now until you can eventually get 2GB, stop fussing over "benchmarks" and enjoy your mac! ;)

Sil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
generik said:
It shouldn't have much of an impact, at least that's what I am doing on my Mini till ram prices drop somemore.

Benchmarks? What you think that is, a gamer's rig? :D

The 1GB will benefit your system more than dual channel ever will, just accept that for now until you can eventually get 2GB, stop fussing over "benchmarks" and enjoy your mac! ;)

Glad that it should not have much impact. Nope, i'm not planning on using it for gaming, at all. I have a desktop for that. I had just heard that the gfx suffered on the macbook when it was out of duel channel mode, I wanted to check that it wasn't going to affect desktop apps/dvd's etc.

I'm just about wetting myself in excitment waiting to order this!

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I got a 1GB stick from scan.co.uk so I'm currently running 1.25GB in my MacBook. Haven't noticed any isssues.

My second 1GB stick arrives to day so I'll check how that improves things in dual channel mode.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
For the UK, the current cheapest place is :eek: PC World, I'm shocked too, but am getting some later for my Macbook.

Sil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
sunfast said:
I got a 1GB stick from scan.co.uk so I'm currently running 1.25GB in my MacBook. Haven't noticed any isssues.

My second 1GB stick arrives to day so I'll check how that improves things in dual channel mode.

Cheers, that would be handy :) I was looking at getting mem from Scan, not much more that the 1gb upgrade througth the apple store.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
sunfast said:

Is that the Corsair Value RAM for like £64??

Eraserhead said:
For the UK, the current cheapest place is :eek: PC World, I'm shocked too, but am getting some later for my Macbook.
It is instore compared to others but on the internet, there are a lot more cheaper places like scan.co.uk

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
®îçhå®? said:
It is instore compared to others but on the internet, there are a lot more cheaper places like scan.co.uk

Scan.co.uk is the only one i've seen that's cheaper, crucial, dabs, amazon, pcnextday.co.uk are all more expensive, and a froogle search for 'PC2-5300 sodimm' didn't come up with any better prices, the only thing is, is that scan.co.uk seem not to have a great reputation, and after difficulties with buying RAM on eBay I'm not going to buy from them.

The only reason PC World is "cheap" is that all the online places have doubled their prices in the last month, and that PC World doesn't play those pricing games, this is almost certainly because of people buying a certain "Macbook" for Uni, and Apple as usual is ripping it's customers off on the RAM front.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
®îçhå®? said:
Is that the Corsair Value RAM for like £64??

It certainly is.

I now have 2 x 1GB sticks of Corsair Value RAM in my MB and I'm really pleased. Thought I haven't tried anything major (games etc) the whole system is much happier with plenty of apps running. And fast user switching, which I do quite a lot, is really quick.

It does just feel a lot "snappier".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.