Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksalito56

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Amite, LA
I have been trying to install Turbo Tax, I moved it to my applications folder. When I click on it it tells me it is in the READ ONLY folder. I didn't know there were more than one Applications folder. I can't determine which is read only and which is the correct one. I tried to change permissions, I get a message I don't have permission to do this, but I am the administrator. Any suggestions? I'm running Sonoma on my 2021 MacBook.

Here is the message I get when I try to open Turbo. "TurboTax can't be updated when it's running from a read-only volume like a disk image or an optical drive. Move TurboTax to your Applications folder and relaunch it from there."

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Sounds like you're running it from the DMG, didn't properly copy it into Applications (or, copied it but didn't run the proper file). When you download the DMG, double-click it in the Downloads folder to open it (will look like a folder) - then drag the file within it into the Applications folder. Then, eject the DMG (should be listed in the sidebar of the Finder). Then open the Applications folder and run it.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
^This.

The TurboTax "installer" should have a link to Applications folder in its window, so do the usual drag to "Applications" to "install".

Reactions: Brian33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.