Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
When I get home tonight I'll be putting a 1GB stick in my MB. Really hope it improves the performance as it's pretty poor with the stock 512MB I have at the mo....

Anyway, just wanted to check on the screwdriver. The Apple instructions mention a Phillips size 00. I have a set of small screwdrivers which I've used for computer stuff in the past. Is this one of them, or is it one of those weird ones?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I can't guarantee you have the right size screwdriver, but if you have a set of small screwdrivers you probably have one, after all, it's just a normal (but small) phillips screw.

alec

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2005
Washington DC
If you can't find one, just go to CVS or your local pharmacy and buy a eyeglass screwdriver. They're only a couple of dollars.

-Alec

CNU182

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
sunfast said:
When I get home tonight I'll be putting a 1GB stick in my MB. Really hope it improves the performance as it's pretty poor with the stock 512MB I have at the mo....

Anyway, just wanted to check on the screwdriver. The Apple instructions mention a Phillips size 00. I have a set of small screwdrivers which I've used for computer stuff in the past. Is this one of them, or is it one of those weird ones?
How'd the install go? I'll be doing the same tonight..but using a 1GB stick and my stock 256.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
CNU182 said:
How'd the install go? I'll be doing the same tonight..but using a 1GB stick and my stock 256.
I recommend against this. Because the Macbook shares its system RAM for Graphics, it is highly recommended to insert RAM in matched pairs (e.g. 1 GB & 1 GB). If not, you'll be taking a significant performance hit.

CNU182

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
EricNau said:
I recommend against this. Because the Macbook shares its system RAM for Graphics, it is highly recommended to insert RAM in matched pairs (e.g. 1 GB & 1 GB). If not, you'll be taking a significant performance hit.
what kind of hit? funds right now are restricting from another gig.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
CNU182 said:
what kind of hit?
Apple web site said:
The MacBook Pro will run fine with either a single memory slot filled or with both memory slots filled with two unmatched memory sizes (such as a 512MB DIMM in one slot and a 1GB DIMM in the other).
However, if both slots are loaded with an equal amount of RAM (such as two 512MB DIMMs of the same type), you can take advantage of the system's dual-channel memory architecture for an additional performance boost. With a dual-channel memory interface, both banks of SDRAM can be addressed at the same time, enabling MacBook Pro to reach a memory throughput of up to 10.7 GBps.
I've looked around for some figures but have found nothing reliable (varies between 4% and 20%, but also some indication that the benefit with an integrated graphics machine such as a MacBook could be up to 70%.)
Just put in what you can afford now, and maybe another stick of the same type later.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Install went fine. I put in a 1GB stick with one fo the stock 256MB sticks still in. It feels noticeably quicker.

The reson for this lack of pairing is that I plan to go to 2GB soon. I didn't want to waste money buying 2 x 512MB only to take them out and add 2 x 1GB when i wanted to upgrade again.

Next 1GB stick probably next month. If there is a noticeable performance hit from using unpiared RAM then hopefully my MacBook will speed up even more once it's in there.

CNU182

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
sunfast said:
Install went fine. I put in a 1GB stick with one fo the stock 256MB sticks still in. It feels noticeably quicker.

The reson for this lack of pairing is that I plan to go to 2GB soon. I didn't want to waste money buying 2 x 512MB only to take them out and add 2 x 1GB when i wanted to upgrade again.

Next 1GB stick probably next month. If there is a noticeable performance hit from using unpiared RAM then hopefully my MacBook will speed up even more once it's in there.
Exact same scenario myself last night. A significant boost. I did notice it get quite warmer though.

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
woo upgraded mine to 2x1gb last night - miles faster much better!
the odd peice of metal covering memory was awkward to put back though:mad:

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
and to replace the hard drive you will need a T6 or torx 6 to remove the chassey from the old hard drive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.