Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Are you new to Apple? This is the first time Apple has used Quanta Taiwan and they failed miserably. 70% defection rate on Apple Watches and slow production of the MacBook. Apple had to hire thousands of additional employees and get Foxconn to help out with the Watch. Quanta botched it and did not have enough supply in time, simple as that.

Far from it, equally am not interested in little every aspect of what Apple does or doesn't do. Apple`s management should have ensured adequate stock prior to release. They didn't end of story...

Q-6

melb00m

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
MacBook Shipped!

then why do the rest of the world have to wait for 3-4 weeks? if it's just shipping from China? :(

Don't forget other countries often use different keyboard layouts on their notebooks, too. Maybe production of those has started after the U.S. layout. That's another point why my shipping to Germany might need 3-4 weeks as well, even though I ordered the minute the Apple Store went live on Friday.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Far from it, equally am not interested in little every aspect of what Apple does or doesn't do. Apple`s management should have ensured adequate stock prior to release. They didn't end of story...

Q-6

Again, they NEVER said it would be available in stores April 10th, they said it SHIPS April 10th. They did have adequate stock available online, plenty of us ordered one and will have them in 3 days :)

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Don't forget other countries often use different keyboard layouts on their notebooks, too. Maybe production of those has started after the U.S. layout. That's another point why my shipping to Germany might need 3-4 weeks as well, even though I ordered the minute the Apple Store went live on Friday.

last I checked, Canadian mac use US keyboard. ;)

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Again, they NEVER said it would be available in stores April 10th, they said it SHIPS April 10th. They did have adequate stock available online, plenty of us ordered one and will have them in 3 days :)

This is what Apple said. It's not very well worded, but if people understood that it was going to be available on the 10th in retail stores and "select Apple Authorized Resellers," I think that was a reasonable conclusion. Apple doesn't ship through its retail stores or resellers.

Pricing & Availability
The all-new MacBook will begin shipping Friday, April 10 through the Apple Online Store (http://www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers.

Queen6

macrumors G4

Apple announced a launch across several counties, not a staged launch/shipping, which is exactly what they have done. Some flagship stores done even have display models, and just as well as there is no immediate stock...

If Apple had adequate stock people wouldn't be waiting 4-6 weeks, it`s a Mac with limited appeal to the greater public, not and IOS device...

Q-6

jaydee24601

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
There seems to be movement on the FedEx site tracking over in China ... the orders seem to have left the country

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
Apple announced a launch across several counties, not a staged launch/shipping, which is exactly what they have done. Some flagship stores done even have display models, and just as well as there is no immediate stock...

If Apple had adequate stock people wouldn't be waiting 4-6 weeks, it`s a Mac with limited appeal to the greater public, not and IOS device...

Q-6

They did with the macbook the exact same thing they did with the Watch. But they didn't say it, and the set expectations when they knew exactly that wasn't going to happen the way everybody thought it would.

Nobody had anything bad to say about the way they handled the Watch launch. Nobody would have had anything to say about the MB launch either had they only SAID it.

Why they didn't say "online orders on April 10th with demo in the US stores, availability in store on April xxth and internationally on May xxth" is beyond me.

Queen6

macrumors G4
This is what Apple said. It's not very well worded, but if people understood that it was going to be available on the 10th in retail stores and "select Apple Authorized Resellers," I think that was a reasonable conclusion. Apple doesn't ship through its retail stores or resellers.

It is what it is, and anyone with common sense can see it. Even speaking with Apple store staff today they have no clear understanding why Apple has done this, they have just been instructed to push all sales to online...

Q-6

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015

You're reading it wrong. It says:

The all-new MacBook will begin shipping Friday, April 10 through the Apple Online Store (http://www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers.

Notice the comma? It means it begins shipping through Apple's online store (you order it), their retail stores (Apple employee orders it for you) and Apple authorized resellers (they order it for you). It never once says it will be available in stores on April 10th. People need to learn to read.

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Yep. FedEx has a flight everyday from Shanghai to TN and are MacBooks are on todays :)

Are these the expedited orders? Mine shipped late Friday from China but I chose the standard shipping. I don't see any movement outside of Shanghai yet.

Queen6

macrumors G4
They did with the macbook the exact same thing they did with the Watch. But they didn't say it, and the set expectations when they knew exactly that wasn't going to happen the way everybody thought it would.

Nobody had anything bad to say about the way they handled the Watch launch. Nobody would have had anything to say about the MB launch either had they only SAID it.

Why they didn't say "online orders on April 10th with demo in the US stores, availability in store on April xxth and internationally on May xxth" is beyond me.

Completely agree. Apple set the wrong expectation and hence low stocking levels, and botched launch. As I said Apple could have completely avoided this by advising in store dates by country, equally they didn't.

As other members have said the "Watch" is priority...

Q-6

macappleguy8

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2015
T4jwBTB

Logged in this morning to see it will be available to pick-up on the 16th! Woohoo!

Attachments

• april16.jpg
    april16.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 133

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
You're reading it wrong. It says:

Notice the comma? It means it begins shipping through Apple's online store (you order it), their retail stores (Apple employee orders it for you) and Apple authorized resellers (they order it for you). It never once says it will be available in stores on April 10th. People need to learn to read.

To be fair, this is all brand new to everyone. Apple have never "started shipping" a product without it being available in stores, before now.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
To be fair, this is all brand new to everyone. Apple have never "started shipping" a product without it being available in stores, before now.

exactly. They should have done the same thing as the apple watch. "available for preorder on 4/10/15"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.