Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aleastua

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
Last week, I removed the battery from my MacBook because it was time to replace it (the first time since I bought it). When I did it and I tried to turn the computer on without the battery, it didn't work. The same day, I made a SMC reset but it didn't work either since the Mac didn't turn on. Two days after, I tried to turn the Mac on and it surprisingly worked! The computer worked normally and I performed a hard disk and a RAM analysis to determine whether there was a problem or not. The analyses showed no damage. I turned the Mac off and the next day it didn't work again. Two days later again, it turned on and worked normally. I've got now the new battery but I don't want to place it and take the risk of damaging it without knowing firstly why this happened. What should I do now? Help, please!

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
You may just have a flaky power adapter. If you don't have a battery installed, then the machine just won't work when the power adapter isn't providing any power.

Also, why did you replace the battery? A flaky power adapter could also cause charging issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.