Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frederikfhs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2016
Hi, i just replaced my Macbook Pro with a new SSD and installed OS X, which took about 1,5 hours. Very slow process but i came trough. Even tho the SSD is clearly faster in theory, it still has very slow load times just as before. I've tried with 2 different SSD's but with no help. Is there any way that another part of the system is bottlenecking the speed of the HDD or SSD?
ny4J1xN.jpg

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Can you elaborate what exactly is slow? Boot up? App launch? General responsiveness?

Make sure that the SSD is selected as the startup volume.

Frederikfhs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2016
Can you elaborate what exactly is slow? Boot up? App launch? General responsiveness?

Make sure that the SSD is selected as the startup volume.

I removed the harddrive and put in an SSD as boot drive instead. I used internet recovery and re-partitioned the drive and formatted it in the mac, journaled format. Then i proceeded to install the operation system and it took forever. It took still at 5 minutes for about 40 minutes before going down to 2 minutes and standing still there as well. I waited for it to install and finally came to the desktop. Booting the machine is very slow, the same boot time as the HDD, and opening app etc is also the same speed as the HDD

Edit: Is there a way any other component is affecting the speed of the SSD?
Edit 2: I can run a benchmark in black magic disk speed test in a bit so you can see the speed.

Last edited:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Do you have an external hard drive connected? A faulty hard drive drag a Mac down whether or not it is the boot drive. Just being connected is enough to slow everything down.

Have you looked at Activity monitor for CPU and Memory usage?

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Could possibly be the hard drive ribbon cable. A lot of people are reporting problems with the cable.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Good call by JohnDS regarding the internal ribbon cable.

To confirm as to whether the problem -is- the ribbon cable (or not), you need to take the drive OUT OF the MacBook and put it into an external USB3 enclosure.

Connect the enclosure to the MacBook and boot up that way.

Do things suddenly "speed up"?

One other thought:
Are things perceptively slow right now, due to Spotlight indexing the new drive?
I turned Spotlight OFF and use other apps to search when I need to.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Fishrrman has a good call on Spotlight. I find Spotlight a very useful feature - once the initial indexing is done, it doesn't load the system down, so I'd wait for the process to finish, rather than bypass it - personal choice, of course.

As far as boot time, are you talking about the time it takes to get to the login screen, after logging in, or both? Did you restore from a backup after installing OS X, or is it currently a clean system/new login user account?

In any case, I'd run Etrecheck (etrecheck.com) and see what it may find.

Also, since you have 4GB of RAM, run Activity Monitor and watch Memory Pressure.

Frederikfhs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2016
Do you have an external hard drive connected? A faulty hard drive drag a Mac down whether or not it is the boot drive. Just being connected is enough to slow everything down.

Have you looked at Activity monitor for CPU and Memory usage?

I have no external hard drive connected, the only thing thats connected is the power source. I've tried switching the HDD in again and its still very slow. In black magic disk speed test i average about 25-30 mb read and 30 write on the HDD. And with the SSD in the Macbook i get about the same. I tried connecting the SSD via USB and the system boots fine with about 25-40 mb average, but the system is very smooth and no lag oppening program. So it must the the HDD cables that is the bottleneck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.