Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
E

ejholow

Original poster
I purchased some TV shows on my ATV, and it is synced with my Macbook. In order to watch the shows my Macbook needs to be on with Itunes running. Why is this, and how do I stop it. I do not have streaming video on.

Linsky

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
You need to store the videos on the ATV hard drive if you don't want to stream them from iTunes on your computer.

E

ejholow

Original poster
Storing video on ATV

I do not have streaming on, only syncing. How do I make sure they are stored on my ATV. I purchased them on my ATV and yet they get stored on my Macbook that I'm synced with.

thanks
ej

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I do not have streaming on, only syncing. How do I make sure they are stored on my ATV

There is no such thing as "only syncing". If you sync, you can also stream.

If you click on your Apple TV in iTunes, and then choose the Summary tab, you will see two choices: Automatic Sync, and Custom Sync. If you choose Custom Sync, you can tell iTunes what you want to to put on your Apple TV.

If you are absolutely positively sure you will never want to stream, you can also check the box "Show only the synced items on my Apple TV" on the Summary tab. That will eliminate any confusion about what is synced when you are using your Apple TV.

A.

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Some more help to clear the confusion...if you are using custom sync...

When you choose custom sync on iTunes and download something ON THE ATV, that item will automatically be sent back to the computer running iTunes...however, iTunes does not automatically add that item to your custom sync...

...so what happens, you buy something on ATV, ATV syncs it back to iTunes, then the next time they sync, that item will be removed from your ATV if you have not updated your custom sync to include the item...it can be a pain...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.