Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wolfy1091

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2023
2015 MacBook Pro i7

the other day I disconneted my macbook from my desk set up and then it wouldn’t charge and the led on the charger wasn’t coming on. But the icon says the power was connected. I tried resetting the smc, changing outlets, unpluging and replacing it Nothing worked. I eventually opened it up and unplugged the battery then replaced it back and it started charging. I had it on the charger tonight woke up and found the orange led on. Checked the menu and found it wasn’t charging again. Tried unplugging repluuging it nothing. I just tried changing outlets and not the led doesn”t coming on again . What the heck is going on?

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
That battery is likely a time bomb. You got lucky, 8 years old. If the performance is adequate just get a new battery and recycle the old one.

Wolfy1091

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2023
That battery is likely a time bomb. You got lucky, 8 years old. If the performance is adequate just get a new battery and recycle the old one.
Battery is a Year old. I left it unplugged and when I went to bestbuy to get a new charger came back and the old one is charging again

Wolfy1091

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2023
New charger doesn’t charge but the battery icon shows power. Old charger shows power and charges

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Try a really powerful charger. Or flipping the cable around. These two tricks have worked for me previously.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I would now suspect the magsafe DC-in board... Everything about charging goes through that connector (where your charger attaches to your MBPro. The board is not expensive, but the repair is "interesting"

Wolfy1091

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2023
I would now suspect the magsafe DC-in board... Everything about charging goes through that connector (where your charger attaches to your MBPro. The board is not expensive, but the repair is "interesting"
I just ordered one. the light on the charger didn’t come on even with the battery disconnected. I don’t think it’s the battery. I hope it’s not the logic board.

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014

Wolfy1091

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2023
Try an SMC reset
I have tried multiple times. I just had the battery disconnected for awhile trying to check the number on the dc board without removing the board and when I put everything back together it’s working now. When I ran apple diagnostic earlier it said the power adapter wasn’t plugs in now it shows no issues.

Reactions: canadianreader

Wolfy1091

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2023
Update.
The new charger worked great for two weeks then it started not charging again not light on the charger either. I changed the board and it started charging again but there’s a 1-2 sec delay to start changing with the old board it instantly started charging. I ran the hardware test and it came up with no issues. With neither boards. I had to leave my state for a few months and didn’t bring my MacBook with my so I couldn’t test longer.

Wolfy1091

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2023
update. i got back amonth and a half ago and its been fine so far( knocks on wood)

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
I had this issue with my 2021 MBP, and it took a blast of compressed air into the Magsafe port and it's been working fine since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.