Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I bought the MacUpdate Promo which I thought was much better value, however I might consider buying the MacHeist pack if Pixelmator is unlocked otherwise I wont consider it.

Most of the applications on MacHeist seem to be a little useless.....

iPoodOverZune

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
LOST
I bought the MacUpdate Promo which I thought was much better value, however I might consider buying the MacHeist pack if Pixelmator is unlocked otherwise I wont consider it.

Most of the applications on MacHeist seem to be a little useless.....

Actually, appzapper, Snapzpro and Pixelmator may justify the price. These three are pretty good. 1password, iStopMotion are okay. (1password was free from Macworld just a while back; may be still).

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
If Pixelmator is unlocked it would justify the price however with the current applications I can't really justify spending the money now.

r88my

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Manchester UK
Although the apps aren't for everyone and i prob won't be using all of them, i still bought the bundle as the deal was too good to turn down for the price. If you consider pixelmator is $59 alone, it s kind of worth it if you were on the fence about buying it. I think the macheist bundle is better than the macupdate bundle IMHO which i also bought.

If you took part in the heists preceding the bundle you would have got it for $39 instead, and picked up a couple of free apps along the way (albeit not upgradable) such as voice candy or sofa control, which i would never have normally bought but were interesting to poke around with :)

EDIT If you purchase more than one bundle at the same time, you get a discount. I.E. 1 bundle = $49. 2 = $78, 3 = $98, so it might be worth buddying up with friends to get it for even cheaper. $33 for a bundle is quite good!

jstad

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2007
I purchased this for Cha-Ching 2.0 license and beta access. Also the fact that it is for a good cause (indie developers and also charitable foundations) :)

r88my

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Manchester UK
I purchased this for Cha-Ching 2.0 license and beta access. Also the fact that it is for a good cause (indie developers and also charitable foundations) :)

I think the charity aspect is very good. Also the developer thing, the past year or so (since i switched from windows) I have been blown away with the quality of shareware available for mac.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I see the usual cycle of an app I've just purchased being immediately included in a bundle or ten continues :rolleyes:

Oh well, Pixelmator is still worth the money on its own.

r88my

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Manchester UK
But they haven't been unlocked yet, I do know and understand that it's for some very good causes however until Pixelmator is unlocked I probably wont be buying yet...

Problem is, for everyone sitting on the fence who are waiting for certain apps to be unlocked before committing to buy, if everyone does it they won't be unlocked!

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Problem is, for everyone sitting on the fence who are waiting for certain apps to be unlocked before committing to buy, if everyone does it they won't be unlocked!

I agree, but there's still 14 days left and only 2,226 copies sold.

Stitzu

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
I'm not familiar with how this actually works, so when will the other applications actually become "unlocked"? :confused:

r88my

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Manchester UK
I think the relevant totals will still be reached, after all i think its been around 24 hours now and they're passed the 2000 sales mark.

I'm not familiar with how this actually works, so when will the other applications actually become "unlocked"? :confused:

The first app (CSS Edit) will be unlocked once 5000 sales have been reached, the subsequent two locked apps will also be unlocked at some point but the details haven't been released yet as to how many sales need to be reached :)

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Usually for the first unlock it's 5,000, then 7,500 then over 10,000, this could change however depending on sales.

Does anyone have a list (or link) for last years MacHeist software list and more to the point if all applications were unlocked?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Are these dinks going to fulfill their commitment to My Dream App one of these years? What a debacle. Maybe less time heisting, more time doin' the right thing?

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Are these dinks going to fulfill their commitment to My Dream App one of these years? What a debacle. Maybe less time heisting, more time doin' the right thing?

Wasn't there some "issue" with some of the MacHeist application serial numbers last year (e.g. some of them not working)?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Wasn't there some "issue" with some of the MacHeist application serial numbers last year (e.g. some of them not working)?

I don't know. There was also the whole 'screwing over the developers' thing, and the meltdown and lack of holding up their end of the bargain on My Dream App. Frankly I'm not impressed with anything Phyll Ryu has done 'for the Mac community.'

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
Cha-Ching?

Has anyone here used Cha-Ching? I'd be happy to find a replacement for Quicken. I'm not particularly fond of giving Intuit my money.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
This is the first application bundle that I am seriously thinking about getting. A few of the apps would be really useful for me, especially if the last three are released. I'm looking at CSS edit in particular. I might just drop the money on this one.

P-Worm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.